Landmark Television Event is Television’s Top Summer Newsmagazine in Seven Years
Attracts ABC’s Biggest Summer Audience in the Two-Hour Time Period with Non-Sports Programming in Nearly 11 Years
ABC’s A Special Edition of Primetime with Diane Sawyer – Jaycee Dugard: In Her Own Words more than doubled its lead-in at 9pm among viewers (+164%) and young adults (+185%) to dominate its time slot and stand as Sunday’s highest-rated TV program, attracting an average audience of 14.8 million viewers during its 2-hour broadcast. In a landmark television event, Diane Sawyer conducted the first interview with Jaycee Dugard. Dugard was kidnapped at age 11 on her way to school by Phillip and Nancy Garrido and held captive for the next 18 years during which time she was repeatedly abused and gave birth to two daughters. The special also included reporting by Chris Cuomo.
- The definitive #1 TV show on Sunday, ABC’s A Special Edition of Primetime beat CBS, NBC and Fox combined in its 9-11pm time period by nearly 5 million viewers (14.8 million vs. 9.9 million), by 30% in Adults 25-54 (4.8/12 vs. 3.7/9) and by 9% in Adults 18-49 (3.7/10 vs. 3.4/10). In fact, Primetime is ABC’s biggest non-sports telecast of Summer 2011 in Total Viewers, Adults 25-54 and Adults 18-49.
- ABC’s A Special Edition of Primetime with Diane Sawyer – Jaycee Dugard: In Her Own Words qualifies as TV’s most-watched summer newsmagazine telecast in more than 7 years – since 6/20/04.
- Diane Sawyer’s interview with Jaycee Dugard on Primetime produced ABC’s biggest summer audience in the 2-hour time period with non-sports programming in nearly 11 years – since 8/27/00.
- The ABC newsmagazine registered as Sunday’s most-watched non-sports-driven TV broadcast since February – since ABC’s broadcast of The Academy Awards on 2/27/11.
- Another half a million viewers have watched Sawyer’s interview with Jaycee Dugard on ABCNews.com: with video views to date at 549,345
- @DianeSawyer launched on Friday, July 8 and in just 48 hours grew to over 10,000 followers by the end of the broadcast in Eastern and Central time zones. For the first time ever viewers at home were able to connect with Diane Sawyer in real time as @Diane Sawyer shared personal insights from the interview. Viewers were encouraged to tweet their thoughts, questions and comments to @DianeSawyer using the hashtag #JayceeABC during the two-hour live event.
Source: Nielsen Media Research (Fast Affiliate Live + Same Day Ratings), 7/10/11.