ABC News’ Alyssa Newcomb and Leezel Tanglao report:
Australian state government set tuna-baited hooks off Australia’s southwest coast Sunday, after the third fatal shark attack occurred in the waters in the past two months.
George Wainwright, 32, died Saturday after being attacked off Rottnest Island, near Perth, authorities said.
Wainwright, an America, had been in Australia on a work visa.
Western Australia state police senior Sergeant Greg Trew said man’s friends helped him out of the water and in the process saw the shark.
“He floated to the surface and the shark was seen as they were leaving the area to come back into Thompson’s Bay,” Trew said.
Other witnesses said the shark appeared to be a 10-foot great white, The Associated Press reported.
Marine experts say its highly unlikely that a single man-eating shark is responsible for all three attacks.
“The idea that a shark, once it has tasted human blood, would continue to attack is just completely false. Thats not that way it would work,” marine biologist Amy Wilkes told ABC News Radio.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.