The wife of Cincinnati Reds' pitcher Mat Latos said she was attacked by a Pittsburgh Pirates fan during a bar brawl at the Pittsburgh stadium, and that ballpark security failed to help her.
Dallas Latos tweeted late Tuesday that she was attacked during the Reds' Tuesday NL wild-card game against the Pirates at Pittsburgh's PNC Park.
"Got punched in the head at least 3 times by a Pirates fan so this has been cool," she tweeted Tuesday night, and later wrote, "Pittsburgh police can't arrest anyone on assault accounts so I'm the one who spent the game talking to law enforcement after being attacked."
"Just know that security knew I had been threatened multiple times (not even wearing Cincy gear), chose not to take action & I got attacked," she tweeted again an hour later.
In a statement released today, Pittsburgh police said that PNC Park security had been called to the stadium's Budweiser Bowtie Bar around 9:30 p.m. and attempted to quell the quickly escalating altercation. Police were soon called to the scene, where 20 to 30 unruly fans of both teams were "screaming and shouting profanities," according to the statement.
Approximately seven Pirates and Reds fans were ejected from the stadium, police said. At this point Latos approached police and identified herself as having been attacked by one of the ousted fans.
"Mrs. Latos was escorted to the security office where police could further investigate her claim. Two of the fans ejected were with the Latos party," police said in a statement.
Latos did not complain of injury and declined any medical treatment, police said.
No arrests were made in this altercation. Police said they advised all parties that since there were no police witness to the assault, all involved could pursue a private criminal complaint at a local magistrate.
Latos had left a designated secure seating area reserved for the spouses and family members of the players, police said.
When contacted by ABC News regarding Latos' claims that stadium security ignored her, Pirates representative Brian Warecki referred ABC News to the police report for the details of the case, but issued the following statement:
"Fan safety is always a top priority for our well-trained staff at the ballpark. It is something we take very seriously, as we did the unfortunate incident that occurred last night. Our security staff followed the policies and procedures, reacting quickly to attempt to defuse the situation. Their attempts to calm the situation and eject members of the unruly parties were met with escalating profanity and threats. At that point, our staff called the police for assistance and it became a police matter."