The United Nations Security Council just wrapped a public meeting on Ukraine – and America’s UN Ambassador Samantha Power took a starring role, laying into Russia’s UN Ambassador Vitaly Churkin. It was one of the liveliest UN Security Council meeting yet – and below are the most strongly worded remarks:
1. “Listening to the representative of Russia, one might think that Moscow has just become the rapid response arm of the High Commissioner for Human Rights.”
2. “Russian military action is not a human rights protection mission. It is a violation of international law and a violation of the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the independent nation of Ukraine, and a breach of Russia’s Helsinki Commitments and its UN obligations.”
3. “Russian mobilization is in response to an imaginary threat.”
4. “The solution to this crisis is not difficult to envision. There is a way out.” A solution that includes “the immediate pull-back of Russia’s military forces” among other things, she argues.
5. “Russia has every right to wish that events in Ukraine had turned out differently, but it does not have the right to express that unhappiness by using military force or by trying to convince the world community that up is down and black is white.”
6. “What is happening today is a dangerous military intervention in Ukraine. It is an act of aggression. It must stop.”
Message received. Ambassador Churkin was first up at the microphone at the following UN state-out, and as one might might imagine saw things quite differently than Ambassador Power.