The “possible presence of small, thin wire bristle pieces” led Krafts Foods Global Inc. to announce on Friday afternoon a voluntary recall of approximately 137,000 cases of its Velveeta Shells & Cheese and Velveeta Rotini & Cheese products distributed in the United States.
According to a company statement, no injuries have been reported and there have been no consumer complaints. The press release states that the affected products can be identified by the “best when used by” dates, and it lists the following products as being involved in the recall:
- Velveeta Shells & Cheese Original Microwaveable Cups, 2.39 oz. cup, best when used by 16 MAY 2012 (UPC 2100002322)
- Velveeta Shells & Cheese Original Original Four Pack Microwaveable Cups, 4 x 2.39 oz. cup, best when used by 24 APR 2012 to 16 MAY 2012 (UPC 2100002339)
- Velveeta Shells & Cheese Made with 2% Milk Microwaveable Cups, 2.19 oz. cup, best when used by 25 MAR 2012 to 30 MAR 2012 (UPC 2100002323)
- Velveeta Shells & Cheese Made with 2% Milk Four Pack Microwaveable Cups, 4 x 2.19 oz. cup, best when used by 29 MAR 2012 to 12 APR 2012 (UPC 2100002946)
- Velveeta Rotini & Cheese Broccoli Microwaveable Cups, 2.44 oz. cup, best when used by 29 APR 2012 to 14 MAY 2012 (UPC 2100002318)
Consumers who purchased these products are advised not to eat them, but rather return them to the store where they were bought for a refund or exchange.