According to the National Confectioner’s Association, sticky saltwater taffy is believed to have originated in Atlantic City, N.J., in the 1800′s. Shop-owner David Bradley’s stock of taffy was flooded with saltwater during a storm. A girl walked in to buy the taffy, Bradley jokingly nicknamed it “salt water taffy” and the name stuck. Surprisingly, very few saltwater taffy recipes actually call for salt.
Here are some of the best places to get the sweet confections:
1. Sweet Candy Company’s Gourmet Taffy $4.99/box Flavors like buttered popcorn, cotton candy and red licorice are included in their State Fair box.
2. Fralinger’s Original Saltwater Taffy $8.99/box This company is credited with being one of the original companies that started selling saltwater taffy in Atlantic City.
3. James’ Beach Bucket of Saltwater Taffy $12.49/bucket This Atlantic City company features flavors like coconut, lime and peanut in a signature beach bucket.
4. Trolley Taffy Station $9.25/pound Each piece of this Salt Lake City, Utah taffy is wrapped by hand. Flavors include pina colada, chocolate moose and yummy rum.
5. Haven’s Maine Salt Water Taffy $7.95/box Flavors like molasses peanut butter, butterscotch and strawberry cheesecake make this Maine taffy difficult to resist.