Mother’s Intuition is Real

By BlogFrog Bloggers

Oct 5, 2011 10:34pm

I think it’s safe to say that every woman hopes for a short labor and delivery with no complications — I was blessed to have three such deliveries. I delivered my first born son within 6 hours. My second and third deliveries would prove to be just as easy and progress faster than the first. I naively assumed that my fourth delivery would be the same.

0 39258 634533726143469310 Mothers Intuition is Real

I was induced with my fourth son on my expected delivery date; we hesitantly decided to go with an elective induction for convenience. My sister was in town to watch my 3 boys at home and my OB was going on vacation the following week. At the time, it seemed like the best plan to schedule an induction.

I did not have to search long and hard to better understand what led to the cesarean birth of our fourth son. I knew exactly why the experience impacted me so profoundly. I knew the facts, I did my homework, I studied the statistics and still I ignored them. I became a statistic.

My heart, my instincts, my mother’s intuition led me to believe that I was not ready to deliver. I did not have peace about my decision to induce. My body had not given me any signs that it was preparing or ready for delivering my boy. In spite of the red flags, I pushed back my fears, renewed my calm and went along with the induction. I was not surprised when my labor did not progress, my body was not responding properly to the pitocin. After hours of laboring and baby becoming distressed, my OB decided a c-section was necessary.

I was heartbroken. My worst fear had come to fruition. To make the situation worse, I lost a large amount of blood due to a stubborn vein. I remember observing a very nervous, pale doctor as he called out for blood. In those moments, my only thoughts were with my boys… what would happen to my boys if something happened to me.

When a cesarean is necessary, it can be a life saving technique for both mother and infant. Many experts think as many as half of all C-sections are unnecessary. In 2004, 29 percent of babies in the U.S. were born by C-section, an increase of more than 40 percent since 1996.

Below are 5 helpful tips to avoid an unnecessary cesarean section.

1. Let labor take its natural course.
  2. Educate yourself about labor and birth
  3. Don’t get induced unless medically necessary – If the body isn’t ready, an induction might fail and a woman may end up having a C-section. This appears to be more likely if the cervix is not yet ripe.
  4. Stay at home as long as possible
  5. Have support in the delivery room – Doulas, or birth assistants, can help a mother progress naturally when she’s in labor.

My C-section was by far the most difficult part of my pregnancies. It was not the delivery I had envisioned but I was blessed and thankful to leave the hospital with a healthy baby boy.

Now it’s your turn! What was the best or most difficult moment of your pregnancy?

Becoming pregnant changed my life, and I’d love to hear more about your best or most difficult pregnancy moments. By replying, you will be entered to win an exclusive Million Moms Challenge Gift Pack, which includes an all expenses paid trip to a conference on mothers hosted by the UN Foundation in DC (Jan/Feb 2012), an iPad2, a custom-made Million Moms Challenge pendant and $50 donation in your name to Global Giving.

Please join the Million Moms Challenge and sign up!

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Million Moms Challenge. The opinions and text are all mine. Contest runs September 19 to October 16, 2011. A random winner will be announced by October 18, 2011.

Official Contest Rules

User Comments

I’ve had three babies, and each delivery happened faster than the previous delivery. Well, with our third baby, I was pretty much ready to deliver when they got me to my room. The doctor was really laid back and actually let my husband deliver our daughter. It was a really special moment for all of us and now we have a great story to tell her as she grows. With us living 45 minutes away from the hospital, I guess the doctor just figured my husband needed the practice for the next go round. :)

Posted by: Janna | October 6, 2011 8:08 pm

I made a huge mistake and did not trust my mother’s intuition with my first pregnancy. The OB told me my baby was going to be to big to deliver vaginally and pushed for a c-section. After weeks of badgering and told I “it would be too hard”, I caved and made the appt for the surgery. How could I know more than my OB? Boy was I wrong. I had no signs of going into labor and wasn’t really prepared for what I was about to experience. The c-section experience was awful and if I could have left the OR I would have. I gave birth to a healthy 8lb boy…not the 9 or 10 lb baby my OB predicted. I didn’t get to hold my baby until he was 3+ hours old. I didn’t get get give him his first bath…the nurse did. So many “firsts” I missed out on. To make a really long story short…I had PPD but didn’t realize it until my son was a year old. But from this experience I was able to give birth to my second son on my terms. I hired a midwife, a doula and rented a birthing tub. I had another c-section but this time it was medically necessary and I didn’t have the depression I experienced the first time around. Listen to your intuition mamas…you will always know best!

Posted by: Jen | October 6, 2011 9:10 pm

My oldest child was born in the hospital 24 yrs ago. It was an amazingly smooth pregnancy and labor and delivery. The doctor came in and asked the nurse if I had anything for delivery. They ended up giving me a local, which I probably didn’t need.

My other two children were born at home with a midwife. Both also were amazingly smooth pregnancies and deliveries. Very noneventful as far as births go. Praise GOD!

The hospital birth was rather cold and impersonal. My friends talked me into a midwife long before my husband and I thought about or knew we were going to have more children. I’m so glad they did. I learned it was important not to go around and tell people we were going to have our babies at home if they didn’t have the same kind of faith or understanding as we do, and to stand on our faith and trust GOD through all of my pregnancies, labor, and deliveries. :)

The best advice I ever received was from a girlfriend. She said, “Everybody’s experience is different, so don’t listen to their experience expecting it to be like yours.”

Posted by: Bobbi | October 6, 2011 10:02 pm

I was recommended this website by my cousin. I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my problem. You’re amazing! Thanks!

Posted by: kutasy | October 10, 2011 12:58 am

Wow so nice! I like this site. Keep it working every day.

Posted by: Supra Trainers UK | October 11, 2011 8:21 am

Cherished Web page proprietor. My wife and i really love this write-up as well as web site altogether! Your current article is very obviously composed and also merely easy to undestand. Your overall Blog site pattern rocks ! also! Is great to learn where I can afford obtain the idea. You need to preserve up the very good career. Most of us involve far more such internet marketers that you online and a lot a lower number of spammers. Great friend!

Posted by: Teodora Agramonte | October 12, 2011 5:18 pm

thanks !! very helpful post!

Posted by: Rolando | October 13, 2011 12:57 am

Hi there I like your post

Posted by: Gerry | October 13, 2011 12:57 am

thanks !! very helpful post!

Posted by: Shantell | October 13, 2011 12:57 am

Glad to listen to you figured it out Matt. Let me know in case you run into another issues.

Posted by: Su Voegeli | October 13, 2011 5:51 am

Youve bought mail. Reply to me from there. After we have now a resolve Unwell post it back again here for other folks reference.

Posted by: Alphonso Wriston | October 13, 2011 8:13 pm

115941 pm dtmduwwaedugzxj to mark the anniversary of fifty decades of creating pizza we are supplying complimentary specialty pizzas to any person to send out the code getpizza on the selection 41411 so what exactly are you waiting for 9182011

Posted by: Deon | October 13, 2011 10:19 pm

Heads Up I just loves your nice site thank you and pls continue it

Posted by: Real Estate Lewes Delaware | October 14, 2011 6:19 pm

Thanks for creating this. I really feel as though I know so much more about the topic than I did before. You should continue this, Im sure most people would agree youve got a gift.

Posted by: Benita Plamondon | October 15, 2011 6:25 am

I realized more interesting things on this weight reduction issue. 1 issue is a good nutrition is highly vital if dieting. A massive reduction in junk food, sugary meals, fried foods, sugary foods, pork, and whitened flour products may perhaps be necessary. Having wastes unwanted organisms, and harmful toxins may prevent aims for fat loss. While specific drugs for the short term solve the problem, the nasty side effects are usually not worth it, plus they never offer you more than a short-lived solution. It is just a known idea that 95% of fad diet plans fail. Thanks for sharing your thinking on this website. how to lose weight in 10 days

Posted by: how many calories burned calculator | October 16, 2011 2:33 pm

I agree with your Mother’s Intuition is Real – ABC News, great post.

Posted by: Belly Button Rings | October 17, 2011 6:55 am

I like Your Article about Mother’s Intuition is Real – ABC News Perfect just what I was searching for! .

Posted by: House Training A Puppy | October 17, 2011 7:08 am

You may have not intended to do so, but I think you have managed to express the state of mind that a lot of people are in. The sense of wanting to help, but not knowing how or where, is something a lot of us are going through.

Posted by: Angelique Kaloustian | October 17, 2011 6:22 pm

Hi. Just wanted to let you know I really liked the content on your blog. Do you have myspace? Maybe we could be friends.

Posted by: transcription services | October 18, 2011 3:42 am

seng ngawe gedeng

Posted by: gendeng | October 18, 2011 8:21 am

Ive been meaning to read this and just never got a chance. Its an issue that Im very interested in, I just started reading and Im glad I did. Youre a fantastic blogger, 1 of the finest that Ive seen. This weblog certainly has some details on topic that I just wasnt aware of. Thanks for bringing this stuff to light.

Posted by: moncler jackets uk sale | October 18, 2011 10:39 am

Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I will definitely comeback.

Posted by: filmy erotyczne | October 19, 2011 7:40 pm

Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well written article. I’ll make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I will definitely return.

Posted by: anonse | October 19, 2011 8:48 pm

Thanks for sharing Mother’s Intuition is Real – ABC News with us keep update bro love your article about Mother’s Intuition is Real – ABC News .

Posted by: minecraft skins | October 20, 2011 6:27 am

Thankyou for sharing Mother’s Intuition is Real – ABC News with us keep update bro love your article about Mother’s Intuition is Real – ABC News .

Posted by: Constipation remedies | October 20, 2011 6:33 am

The forex market, offshore as the name indicated, could possibly be the following largest sized economical area in the field with regards to total level, at the rear of the interest rates. However, in your virtually all gathered as well firstly on the liquidity rather treaties, just like the dollar Per dollar: the usual day by day degree of

Posted by: azertdfd | October 20, 2011 7:27 pm

It’s a worthy shame you don’t contain a make money ! I’d definitely resign money for this wondrous webpage! That i assume for the minute existence i’ll be mitigated bookmarking together with including an individual’s Provide that will my prizewinning Msn residue. That i pretense smart that will recent messages and definitely percentage the web position utilizing my uncomparable Facebook or twirp squad: )

Posted by: Potato And Leek Soup | October 21, 2011 1:53 am

Posted by: Constipation remedies | October 21, 2011 4:49 am

There are many vitamins on the market, however this one really works. I’ve tried many that make you tired but I haven’t experienced it yet with this one. You body needs this nutrition, there is no need to malnurish.

Posted by: 5 Factor Promo Code | October 21, 2011 6:35 am

Key stock markets which includes ruskies, your Ough.Verts. $, United kingdom lb, Canadian monetary … have proven to be illustrations are floating foreign currencies. The very so-called fascinating legal tender for example the Far east yuan, have proven to be instances of foreign exchange in permanently fixed percentage rates.

Posted by: forex france | October 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Preserve posting much like me gonna visit read it every day. Thanks for expressing.

Posted by: soft surroundings coupon | October 21, 2011 2:46 pm

I found your posting to be insightful! Thank you.

Posted by: iPhone Development Company | October 22, 2011 7:19 am

You are my inhalation , I own few web logs and very sporadically run out from to brand : (.

Posted by: travel agency | October 22, 2011 7:47 am

I think this website holds some very fantastic info for everyone : D.

Posted by: diets that work | October 22, 2011 8:26 am

I wish to get across my admiration for your kind-heartedness for those who should have guidance on this one topic. Your special commitment to passing the solution all over became extraordinarily valuable and has surely enabled women like me to get to their pursuits. The insightful facts implies a lot a person like me and even more to my office colleagues. Warm regards; from everyone of us.

Posted by: learn seo | October 22, 2011 8:53 am

In the great pattern of things you secure an A just for hard work. Where you misplaced everybody was first on the particulars. As it is said, the devil is in the details… And it could not be much more true right here. Having said that, allow me inform you just what exactly did do the job. The writing is certainly highly persuasive and this is most likely the reason why I am making an effort to comment. I do not make it a regular habit of doing that. Second, even though I can see a leaps in reasoning you make, I am not certain of just how you appear to unite the points which in turn make the actual final result. For right now I will, no doubt yield to your point however wish in the future you connect your facts much better.

Posted by: ex recovery system review | October 22, 2011 4:28 pm

Just want to inform you that I bookmarked your article for future reference. Thanks!

Posted by: Mee Amirault | October 23, 2011 2:04 pm

Die bestes 777 livecams im netz. !!!

Posted by: 777live | October 24, 2011 6:59 am

Extraordinary job, Your move is an representative of why I rest indorse to indicate your superior degree statement

Posted by: Potato And Leek Soup | October 24, 2011 10:47 am

Posted by: liberty reserve | October 24, 2011 8:58 pm

Speed This means, Use your creativity?Multilevel marketing business, making shots that.Next pick and, of work being.Repairs dont hold September 5, Well It not meanings clearly identified.Afford Finally The, few different brands.,

Posted by: Rebekah Tener | October 24, 2011 10:24 pm

Regards for sharing Mother’s Intuition is Real – ABC News with us keep update bro love your article about Mother’s Intuition is Real – ABC News .

Posted by: Potato And Leek Soup | October 25, 2011 3:56 am

Wir laden Sie zu einer Website Firma produziert Metallzaune !!!

Posted by: Zäune | October 25, 2011 6:51 am

777livecams Dies ist der beste Dating-Website, wo Sie die Liebe Ihres Lebens treffen können!

Posted by: 777 livecams | October 25, 2011 7:06 am

Natürlich wollen wir Ihnen die besten Dating-Portal in Deutschland einzuführen, so können Sie den Partner, mit dem Sie für das Leben haben, wissen.

Posted by: visitx | October 25, 2011 8:07 am

I was checking constantly this blog and I’m impressed! Extremely helpful information particularly the last part I care for such information much. I was looking for this certain info for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

Posted by: cokolwiek123 | October 25, 2011 7:08 pm

Posted by: herbal remedies | October 26, 2011 4:06 am

Najlepszy Adwokat w Poznaniu. Potrzebujesz pomocy ? To dobrze Trafisz do swojego Adwokata!!!

Posted by: Adwokat Poznan | October 26, 2011 6:12 am

Najwiekszy Deweloper mieszkan w centrum Wroclawia serdecznie zaprasza do ogledzin mieszkan oraz wyboru odpowiedniego apartamentu dla panswa. Zapraszamy serdecznie !!!!

Posted by: nieruchomosci wroclaw | October 26, 2011 6:28 am

Jezeli szukasz ddobrego mechanika, badz tez chcesz zalozyc sobie klimatyzacje w samochodzie to dobrze trafiles !!! Nasza firma to najlepsze auto usugi we Wroclawiu. Serdecznie Zapraszamy do skorzystania z naszej oferty !!!

Posted by: Auto serwis wroclaw | October 26, 2011 6:40 am

Howdy there, just turn alert of your diary via Google, and located that it’s really consultatory. I’m effort to check out for brussels. I give be grateful should you preserve this in coming. A lot of otherwise fill present belike be benefited from your . Cheers!

Posted by: liberty reserve | October 26, 2011 4:28 pm

I like Your Article about Mother’s Intuition is Real – ABC News Perfect just what I was looking for! .

Posted by: Constipation remedies | October 26, 2011 5:50 pm

This is the diary for anyone who wants to attempt out out nigh this substance. You note so its nearly wearing to reason with you (not that I really would want…HaHa). You definitely put a new twirl on a topic thats been scrivened almost for period. Respectable whatsis, simply outstanding!

Posted by: Minecraft Texture Packs | October 26, 2011 9:34 pm

Mehn i’m a Jaywon fan, but dis song z sh*t…..d babe in d video is hawt tho

Posted by: hurtownia gsm | October 26, 2011 10:57 pm

Just wasting some time in between class on Stumble Upon and I found your article. Not normally what I favor to read about, but it surely was well worth my time. Thanks.

Posted by: learn seo | October 26, 2011 11:14 pm

The model of these blogging engines and CMS platforms is the want of limitations and inactivity of influence that allows developers to complete tasteful aggregation and ‘skin’ the position in a way that with short one would never mention what it is making the stitch all without limiting aggregation and effectivity.

Posted by: Minecraft Texture Packs | October 27, 2011 1:05 am

Hi! I am often to blogging and i truly apprise your acceptance. The article has rattling peaks my involvement. I am accomplishment to your site and book checking for new information.

Posted by: Trial Xtreme 2 HD Apk | October 27, 2011 2:21 am

I real equal when you deal this identify of poppycock inner your posts. Perhaps could you talk this?

Posted by: Memory Foam Mattress Reviews | October 27, 2011 2:53 am

Oh my quality! a large article dude. Thanks Nonetheless I am experiencing gainsay with ur rss . Don’t jazz why Unable to to it. Is there anybody exploit monovular rss drawback? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

Posted by: Minecraft Texture Packs | October 27, 2011 6:07 am

This is the for anyone who wants to essay out out active this content. You respond so overmuch its most debilitating to contend with you (not that I real would want…HaHa). You definitely put a new rotate on a theme thats been scripted around for age. Prissy bunk, !

Posted by: download apk | October 27, 2011 7:42 am

Appreciate it for sharing Mother’s Intuition is Real – ABC News with us keep update bro love your article about Mother’s Intuition is Real – ABC News .

Posted by: minecraft skins | October 27, 2011 9:16 am

Posted by: liberty reserve | October 27, 2011 9:17 am

This design is wicked! You definitely know how to keep a reader amused. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Wonderful job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it. Too cool!

Posted by: micro | October 27, 2011 2:59 pm