Anti-Rand Paul Robocall Targets Kentucky Seniors

By Jenny Schlesinger

Oct 28, 2010 5:58pm

ABC News’ Huma Khan reports: Republicans are inflamed at a robocall being made to veterans near Ft. Knox and Ft. Campbell, telling them that GOP Senate candidate Rand Paul wants to close bases and bring troops back from Afghanistan.  Kay Stanton, a veteran, said she received the call on Oct. 26, exactly a week before the general election. The message didn’t say who it was from but identified veterans as the target group. The message stated that Paul “was wanting to bring troops from Afghanistan and they were there because of 9/11. They also mentioned that he wanted Ft. Campbell to be closed,” said Stanton, who is a registered Republican and voted in the primary.  Catherine Kerney, whose husband was a veteran, said she received the same call.  ABC News has not heard the audio of the call. The message urged seniors to call a number bearing a North Dakota area code. The number is registered to “Voter Contact” but it doesn’t go through.  Democratic candidate Jack Conway’s campaign denied the call came from them and so far no organization has taken credit for it.  In an e-mail to supporters, the National Republican Senatorial Committee blasted the robocall as a “dirty trick” and “dishonorable tactic.”  “These tactics are unethical and underhanded — just what we should expect from a desperate career politician,” the NRSC said in an e-mail to supporters.    Paul and Conway have sparred on the U.S. handling of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, although both agree that former President George W. Bush was correct in invading the country after the Sept. 11 attacks.  The libertarian-leaning conservative candidate, however, has stayed mostly silent on the future of troops in Afghanistan, leading some to question whether he wants to pull troops out of the country.

You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus