President Obama spoke with French President Nicolas Sarkozy this afternoon, and he was scheduled to talk to UK Prime Minister David Cameron, to discuss options regarding Libya.
Here’s a partial list of things the White House is contemplating and moving on:
- A stronger UN Security Council product than the weak “press notes” from earlier this week – possibilities include a resolution, sanctions, enforcement mechanisms, and accountability measures;
- Supporting the Mexican initiative to suspend Libya from the UN Human Rights Council (Secretary of State Clinton’s trip to Geneva);
- Executive Order with sanctions, which could include visa and travel restrictions, asset freezes and/or seizures, civil aviation restrictions — all coordinated with allies;
- Suspension of export licenses;
- No-fly zone;
- possible freezing of individuals’ assets;
- Humanitarian relief;
- Broadcasting into Libya.