Donald Trump to Get Behind the Wheel at Indy 500

Apr 5, 2011 4:05pm

ABC News' Devin Dwyer reports:   Donald Trump may not have announced a bid for president in 2012, but he’s about to amp up his exposure among conservative NASCAR fans at one of the sport’s biggest events of the year.  

The real estate mogul and reality show star said today he’ll be behind the wheel of a Chevy Camaro convertible pace car during 100th anniversary Indianapolis 500 on May 29. 

“The first thing I said to myself is, ‘Hey, do they pay me for this or not?’” Trump joked about the invitation to drive. “I called a couple of friends of mine and they said, ‘No, Donald, this is a great honor. They don’t pay you.’”

Trump, who said he has a driver’s license and considers driving a “great luxury,” could top speeds of 140 miles per hour whipping around the Indiana racetrack.  

And what about that famous hair?  “It is as you know, it is my hair. It will be messy,” The Donald told ESPN’s Jamie Little.  He also said he’d probably have to wear a hat. 

But the bigger question about Trump’s appearance at Indy may be whether he’ll also have started the ignition on a 2012 presidential campaign. 

Trump told ABC News last month that he would make a final decision on a run “prior to June” — a message he echoed today. 

“I hate what happening to the country. I see the other nations of the world, whether its OPEC as group or China,  just ripping this country to shreds, they’re taking our jobs, they’re taking our money, they’re doing things we do nothing about,” he told Little. “So I will make a decision sometime prior to June.”

You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus