ABC News’ Emily Friedman (@EmilyABC) reports:
When will the Mitt Romney campaign show us the money?
Not until after the holiday weekend, a senior campaign advisor tells ABC News.
The campaign is waiting to “see what the other campaigns” put out before releasing their own figures, but declined to specify which campaign in particular they’re keeping an eye on.
The earliest we might see Romney’s second quarter fundraising numbers is Tuesday, when the former governor will be in New Hampshire.
A senior advisor also stresses that when the numbers are released they will be below $20 million, adding that the “poor economy isn’t just a talking point for [the campaign], it’s taking a toll on our donors.”
Pushed as to whether predicting a less than $20 million quarter might be low-balling it seeing as Romney raked in more than $10 million during a “National Call Day” he held in Las Vegas in May, the advisor said that event was always considered the “anchor event” for the quarter.
What we won’t see when the numbers are released is any money from Romney’s personal account, according to the source.
If the Romney campaign does in fact raise under $20 million they will have raised less than they did in the same quarter in 2007, when they reported $21 million in fundraising.
Fellow republican presidential candidates Jon Huntsman and Ron Paul are the only ones to release their FEC fillings so far. Huntsman reported raising $4.1 million and Paul’s campaign says they raised more than $4.5 million in the second quarter.