A man working in the Longworth House Office Building suffered an electric shock this afternoon but is alive and appeared in stable condition, according to multiple sources.
The man was a Republican staffer working in Longworth 1334, the Natural Resources Committee hearing room.
"A member of the Committee staff was injured in their office this afternoon and is being cared for," Spencer Pederson, the Republican spokesman at the committee, said. "Their condition now seems O.K. and we ask that the staff person's privacy be respected."
Eva Malecki, the communications officer with the Office of the Architect of the Capitol, explained that the staffer "received an electrical shock that was caused by his coming in contact with wet carpet and a faulty electrical wire."
"The source of the water was a nearby window," Malecki said. "The AOC's House Superintendent's Office responded immediately to correct the problem. We encourage anyone who discovers wet carpet or any other water leaks to contact the Superintendent's Office to report the issue."
U.S. Capitol Police Lt. Kimberley Schneider said the person was transported to an area hospital, but refused further comment.
The man was alive, seemed alert, and had no visible burns or blisters as he was taken out of the building by first responders, other police officers said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak with reporters.
Longworth House Office Building sits across Independence Avenue from the Capitol, and houses numerous committee and congressional staff. The incident occurred at approximately 12:15 p.m.