A few of the quotable lines from today's news:
"Quapropter bene conscius ponderis huius actus plena libertate declaro me ministerio Episcopi Romae, Successoris Sancti Petri, mihi per manus Cardinalium die 19 aprilis MMV commissum renuntiare."
Translation: "Well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005."
- Pope Benedict XVI, announcing his plans to retire at the age of 85
"Our troops should not ever be put in a position where they have to defend the indefensible….That's what these soldiers did for each other in sacrifice driven by pure love."
- President Obama, honoring Staff Sgt. Clinton Romesha with the Medal of Honor for fighting a daylong barrage in Combat Outpost Keating. Although Americans were outmanned 53 to more than 300 Taliban, all but eight U.S. soldiers survived.
"Our dedication to catch this killer remains steadfast…We will not tolerate this reign of terror."
- Antonio Villaraigosa, LA Mayor in a press conference concerning continued manhunt for fugitive ex-police officer Christopher Dorner
"There's no running water. They just really got food there to them tonight, and there's no power whatsoever, other than the emergency flasher lights that are on. She was crying and hysterical."
- Brent Nutt, his wife is among the 4,229 passengers stranded aboard a Carnival cruise ship in the Gulf of Mexico.
"I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote the chorus of that song. If this is in HD, you can see our faces and you can see we are not very young!"
- Nate Ruess, the lead singer of Fun., accepting Grammy award for Song of the Year "We Are Young"