Susan Rice: ‘Dang If I Know’ Whether More Benghazi Info Will Be Revealed

May 14, 2014 5:08pm

National Security Adviser Ambassador Susan Rice expressed exasperation when asked today whether the new House  Select Committee investigating the Benghazi consulate attack will actually lead to the administration producing new information to the public about the terror attack.

“Dang if I know,” she said to crowd gathered at luncheon honoring women in foreign policy in Washington. “I mean, honestly, the administration has produced, I think, 25,000 pages of documents, or 25,000 individual documents. They’ve supported, participated in, contributed to the investigations of, you know, seven, I think, different committees. We have had an accountability review board by a very distinguished group of outsiders.

“You know, House and Senate committees have pronounced on this repeatedly. So it’s hard to imagine what further will come of yet another committee,” she added.

Rice accused the Republicans  of focusing on  the politics of the September 11, 2012 attack, which killed four Americans, including Ambassador Christopher Stevens, instead of trying to make U.S. embassies and consulates safer for American diplomats.

“We have a budget request on the Hill for $4.6 billion that is necessary, in the administration’s judgment, to make the kind of upgrades and provide the kind of security that our facilities need. Let’s focus on that,” said Rice. “Because what is lost in all of this discussion about Sunday shows and talking points is that we lost four brave Americans on that day, and their families and those of us who work with them continue to grieve. And the last thing we need to do is to lose any more.”

Last week, the House of Representatives voted 232-186 to create the select committee to investigate the administrations handling and response to the attack on the Benghazi consulate.

The vote was split down party lines, with just seven democrats voting in favor.

So far, House Speaker Boehner has appointed seven republicans for the committee, with Representative Tim Gowdy, who has been one of the most vocal critics of the administration on Benghazi as chair.

“This investigation is about getting answers for the families of the victims and for the American people. These members have each demonstrated a commitment to this goal, and I have confidence that they will lead a serious, fact-based inquiry,” Boehner said in a statement. “As I have expressed to each of them, I expect this committee to carry out an investigation worthy of the American lives lost in Benghazi.”

Democrats have not yet decided whether they will participate or boycott the committee, with House minority leader Nancy Pelosi calling the committee “a political stunt,” and telling reporters on Friday at the Capitol. “We’ve been there, done this, over and over again.”

ABC’s John Parkinson contributed to this report.

You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus