House Republican Majority leader Eric Cantor, 51, comes to “This Week” for his first interview following his defeat in Virginia’s 7th district Republican primary to David Brat, a tea-party backed college professor at Randolph-Macon College.
To help you better understand Sunday’s interview with Cantor on “This Week”, we’ve put together a list of five things you might not know about the Virginia Republican.
1) Cantor was born in Virginia and was educated at some of the top academic institutions in the country, earning an undergraduate degree from George Washington University, a law degree from the College of William and Mary and a masters degree from Columbia University, the same university where president Obama received his undergraduate degree. Early in his career Cantor worked as a driver for his predecessor, Rep. Thomas J. Bliley Jr.
2) At present, Rep. Cantor is the only Jewish Republican in either the House or Senate in the United States Congress. He was also a possible heir to Speaker John Boehner of Ohio, which would have made him the first Jewish speaker of the House. There are more than 30 Jewish Democrats in Congress.
3) Rep. Cantor is married to Diana Cantor and and the couple has three children: Evan, Jenna and Michael. They live in Richmond. Cantor’s wife expressed differences of opinion on major political issues with her husband, including on gay marriage and abortion in an interview with “60 Minutes.” She confirmed she is pro-choice and supportive of same-sex marriage.
4) Cantor wrote a book called “Young Guns,” with two other powerful House Republicans. His fellow authors were Rep. Paul Ryan, the 2012 Republican nominee for vice president, and Rep. Kevin McCarthy, who is currently the House GOP whip and who may even replace Cantor as House majority leader. You can watch the promotional video for the book below.
5) Cantor, like president Obama, is a fan of rap music. He cited Jay-Z and Wiz Khalifa during an interview with CBS. “He’s cool, no one would ever know it, but he’s cool,” Cantor’s son Michael said of him.
Go here to find out when “This Week” is on in your area.