Section 3: Treatment: General Questions
- Can Breast Cancer Be Cured?
- Are We Winning the Breast Cancer Battle?
- Ensuring I Get Good Breast Cancer Care?
- How to Know if Treatment Worked?
- Should I Get a Second Opinion Concerning My Breast Cancer from Another Doctor?
- Do I Have Time to Get a Second Opinion About My Treatment?
- What Should I Do First When I Am Diagnosed with Breast Cancer?
- Are There Dietary Restrictions During Breast Cancer Treatment?
- What Is the Difference Between Local and Systemic Therapy?
- What Are the Treatment Recommendations for Ductal Carcinoma In Situ?
- Will I Have Options for My Breast Cancer Treatment?
- What Help Can I Get to Make Decisions about Breast Cancer Treatment Options?
- Can I Have Breast Conservation Therapy if I Have Inflammatory Breast Cancer?
- What Will Happen if I Opt Out of Breast Cancer Treatment?
- Are In Situ and Invasive Breast Cancers Treated Differently?
Dr. Susan Love answers the question: 'Can Breast Cancer Be Cured?'
More Section 3: Treatment: General Questions stories...
Section 3: Questions About Surgery
- What Is Breast Conservation Surgery?
- Will Chemotherapy Decrease the Chance I Will Need Mastectomy?
- Can I care for myself post-surgery?
- What Can I Expect in the Operating Room?
- What Research is Being Done About the Surgical Management of Breast Cancer?
- Will I Need a Blood Transfusion for Cancer Surgery?
Dr. Harry Bear answers the question: What Is Breast Conservation Surgery?
More Section 3: Questions About Surgery stories...
Section 3: Lumpectomy
- What If More Cancer is Found During Lumpectomy?
- Is It Normal to Have More Than One Lumpectomy?
- Can I Have a Lumpectomy If I Had a Breast Implant Before My Cancer Diagnosis?
- Will I Need Reconstruction If I Have a Lumpectomy?
Dr. Silverstein answers: 'What If More Cancer is Found During Lumpectomy?'
More Section 3: Lumpectomy stories...
Section 3: Mastectomy
- What Are the Different Types of Mastectomies?
- When Is a Mastectomy Usually Recommended?
- What Is A Prophylactic Mastectomy? Should I Do It?
- When Is A Prophylactic Mastectomy Recommended?
- Do Women Often Regret Having a Prophylactic Mastectomy?
- Will A Mastectomy Prevent Cancer Recurrence?
- Do I Need Breast Reconstruction Post-Mastectomy?
- Is Mastectomy the Only Way to Eliminate Tumors?
- What Are The Advantages and Disadvantages of Mastectomy and Breast Conservation Surgery?
- What Are The Advantages Of Having Surgery Done By A Breast Cancer Surgeon As Opposed To A General Surgeon?
- Is Breast Surgery Riskier if I Have Chemo First?
- Should I Schedule Surgery Around My Menstrual Cycle?
- What Is A Skin-Sparing Mastectomy?
- Do Skin Sparing Mastectomies Increase Recurrence?
Dr. Scott Schell answers the question: 'What are the different mastectomies?'
More Section 3: Mastectomy stories...
Section 3: Axillary (Underarm) Lymph Nodes
- What Are Lymph Nodes and What Do They Do?
- How Do Doctors Know if Breast Cancer Has Spread to the Lymph Nodes?
- What is Lymphedema and How Common Is It?
- When Is A Sentinel Node Biopsy Considered, and When Is An Axillary Lymph Node Dissection Necessary?
- Do I Need An Axillary Lymph Node Dissection If I Have In Situ Or Early-Stage Invasive Breast Cancer?
- How Will My Hand And Arm Feel After an Axillary Lymph Node Dissection?
- How Can I Manage Pain After Axillary Lymph Node Dissection?
- What Non-Drug Methods Can I Use to Reduce Pain?
- How Accurate is Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy for Late-Stage Cancer?
- What Are the Effects of the Blue Dye Used in Sentinel Node Biopsy?
Dr. Edge answers the question: 'What Are Lymph Nodes and What Do They Do?'
More Section 3: Axillary (Underarm) Lymph Nodes stories...
Section 3: Breast Reconstruction
- Can I Have Breast Reconstruction If I Am Or Was a Smoker?
- What Can Be Done to the Opposite Breast to Achieve Symmetry and Could This Hinder Future Cancer Detection?
- What is the Difference Between Silicone and Saline Implants?
- Do All Implants Leak?
- Do All Implants Eventually Need To Be Replaced?
- Can I Have Radiation Therapy to the Chest After Breast Implant Reconstruction?
- Can I Have Breast Reconstruction With Tissue Flap From My Abdomen If I'm Considering A Future Pregnancy?
- If I Have Both Breasts Removed, Can I Have Tissue Flap Reconstruction On Both Sides Of My Chest?
- What Are The Risks of Tissue Flap Breast Reconstruction Surgery?
- Can I Have Radiation Therapy to the Chest After A Tissue Flap Breast Reconstruction?
- What Is the Goal of Breast Reconstruction?
- When Should I Speak to a Reconstructive Surgeon?
Dr. Anne Wallace answers the question: 'Breast reconstruction for smokers?'
More Section 3: Breast Reconstruction stories...
Section 3: After Surgery
- Will My Breast Still Have Pleasurable Sensation After Breast Cancer Surgery?
- What Are Seromas and How Are They Treated?
- Is It Normal To Be Discharged From the Hospital With Drainage Tubes, and How Will I Take Care of Them?
- Is Pain Expected After Breast Cancer Surgery?
- Why Is Pain Control Important After Surgery?
- If I Have A History of Drug or Alcohol Abuse, Can I Still Get Good Pain Control?
- Is There Anything Other Than Medication to Help Control Pain After Surgery?
- How Can I Best Prevent or Manage Constipation Caused By Pain Medicine?
- Should I Take Vitamins, Supplements or Follow a Special Diet to Help My Body Better Heal from Surgery?
- Will Complementary Therapies Assist In My Postoperative Recovery?
Dr. Anne Rosenberg anwers the question: 'Will Pleasurable Sensation Remain?'
More Section 3: After Surgery stories...
Section 3: Radiation Therapy
- Why Do I Need Radiation Therapy If I Had My Breast Cancer Removed By Surgery?
- How Are the External Beam Radiation Treatments For Beast Cancer Given?
- How Often and For How Long Will I Need To Get Radiation Therapy?
- How Soon After Breast Surgery or Chemotherapy Does Radiation Therapy Generally Start?
- How Do the Doctors Decide If I Get Radiation Therapy Or Chemotherapy First?
- What Is A Radiation Boost?
- Is It Better To Get Radiation In the Morning Or Afternoon?
- Is It A Major Problem If I Miss A Day Or Two Of Radiation Treatment?
- If I Have Radiation Therapy Once to a Breast, Can I Ever Get It Again to the Same Breast?
- Is Radiation Therapy Ever Given Twice In One Day?
- Can I Take Antioxidants While Getting Radiation Therapy?
Dr. Allen Lichter answers the question: Why do I need radiation after surgery?
More Section 3: Radiation Therapy stories...
Section 3: Side Effects of Radiation Therapy
- Will Radiation Treatment Burn My Skin?
- Will Radiation Make My Hair Fall Out?
- Will Radiation Therapy Make Me Nauseated?
- Will I Suffer Fatigue from Radiation Treatments?
- How to Cut Fatigue from Radiation?
- What Is Fibrosis, And Does Radiation Cause It?
- Dietary Considerations for Radiation?
Dr. McCormick answers the question: 'Will Radiation Treatment Burn My Skin?'
More Section 3: Side Effects of Radiation Therapy stories...
Section 3: Systemic Therapies
- What Are Systemic Therapies?
- What Is Herceptin and What Are Its Side Effects?
- What is Avastin and When Is It Used?
- How Do Doctors Select Chemotherapies?
- Drugs, Schedules For Chemo Treatments?
- Can I Work During Chemotherapy Treatment?
- Will Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer Affect My Memory or Ability to Concentrate?
- Where Is Chemo Normally Administered?
- Can I Get Pregnant After Chemotherapy?
- Where Is It Best To Get Cancer Care?
- Can Glutamine Help Neuropathy Caused by Chemo?
- Does All Chemo Cause Side Effects?
- Can Chemotherapy Affect My Metabolism?
- What If My Cancer Doesn't Respond?
- Can Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer Affect My Skin and Nails?
Dr. Davidson answers the question: 'What Are Systemic Therapies?'
More Section 3: Systemic Therapies stories...
Section 3: Alternative & Complementary Therapies
- Complementary vs. Alternative Therapy?
- Alternative Therapy For Chemo/Radiation?
- Will Complementary Therapies Assist In My Recovery After Surgery?
- Tell About My Alternative Therapy?
- Hypnosis for breast cancer treatment?
- Massage safe with Breast Cancer?
- Can Mistletoe Help Treat Breast Cancer?
- Safety of Herbs and Vitamins?
- Credentials for alternative therapist?
- Can Acupuncture Help Treatment Pain?
- Reiki, Reflexology and Guided Imager?
Dr. Cassileth answers the question: 'Complementary vs. Alternative Therapy?'
More Section 3: Alternative & Complementary Therapies stories...
More of the ABC News OnCall+ Breast Cancer Center
- Section 1: Risk Factors & Prevention 54 Questions & Answers
- Section 2: Screening & Diagnosis79 Questions & Answers
- Section 3: Treatment178 Questions & Answers
- Section 4: Living with Breast Cancer 57 Questions & Answers
More More of the ABC News OnCall+ Breast Cancer Center stories...