|Amid Government Shutdown, Lawmakers Attempt to Save Face|
|Alex Lazar||Oct 2, 2013, 3:59 PM|
With hundreds of thousands of federal employees furloughed and government services halted due to the shutdown, some members of Congress are trying to shield themselves from constituents' attacks.
This move by lawmakers comes as a new Quinnipiac Poll released Tuesday morning shows that 72 percent of American voters oppose shutting down the government in order to prevent the Affordable Care Act from being implemented.
While many lawmakers have announced that their congressional and district offices will remain open, others are trying to furlough themselves, in a manner of speaking.
Check out the tweets below from some members of Congress who say they will forgo their own personal paychecks while the government shutdown is still in effect.
- Sherrod Brown (@SenSherrodBrown) October 1, 2013
I will be returning my paycheck until Congress does the responsible thing & finds a solution to this harmful shutdown http://t.co/x66IqFHh1u
- Rep. Brad Schneider (@RepSchneider) October 1, 2013
Congress has failed to do its job. I call on my colleagues to work to end the #shutdown. Until then, I am donating my pay to S. AZ charities
- RepRonBarber (@RepRonBarber) October 1, 2013
- Bill Posey (@congbillposey) October 1, 2013
This morning I announced I will donate my salary to charity for each day the government is closed http://t.co/ohezDFmOzC
- Tom Cotton (@RepTomCotton) October 1, 2013
- Rep. Mike Coffman (@RepMikeCoffman) October 1, 2013
. @sentedcruz joining me to donate pay to charity, but not to stop shutdown. I urge you to drop politics. Irresponsible to do anything less.
- Gary Peters (@RepGaryPeters) October 1, 2013
Until Senate Dems' gov't shutdown is resolved, I will donate my salary to the Wounded Warrior Project. Read more: http://t.co/v3Cw59xLBI
- Diane Black (@RepDianeBlack) October 1, 2013
I'm going to take my congressional salary during the government shutdown and donate it to the Wounded Warrior Project.
- Lindsey Graham (@GrahamBlog) October 1, 2013
I will not accept pay during a government shutdown. http://t.co/gPjlYoE8W8
- Mike Fitzpatrick (@RepFitzpatrick) October 1, 2013
I sent a letter to the House Chief Admin Officer asking to have my pay withheld until the govt shutdown is over. https://t.co/6LhfXivjTt
- Larry Bucshon, MD (@RepLarryBucshon) October 1, 2013