Paul McCartney on Ending Feud With Yoko Ono
PHOTO: Sir Paul McCartney and Yoko Ono attend the 2012 MusiCares Person Of The Year gala in Los Angeles, Feb. 10, 2012.

(Image Credit: Kevin Mazur/Getty Images)

After their decades-long feud, Paul McCartney and Yoko Ono appear to be giving peace a chance.

In a new Rolling Stone interview, the Beatles legend said he has moved on from his longstanding grudge against the widow of fellow Beatle John Lennon.

Calling her a "bada**," he said, "I thought, 'If John loved her, there's got to be something.' He's not stupid. It's like, what are you going to do? Are you going to hold a grudge you never really had?"

McCartney, 71, told Rolling Stone that the late George Harrison, another member of the foursome, encouraged him to forgive.

"George would say to me, 'You don't want stuff like that hanging around in your life.'"

McCartney Says Yoko Ono Did Not Break Up the Beatles

McCartney and Ono have been battling for years, mostly over songwriting credits for Beatles tunes. Their feud often played out in the media.

But they turned a corner last year when McCartney told interviewer David Frost that the group was breaking up with or without Ono's influence.

"She certainly didn't break the group up, the group was breaking up," McCartney told Frost. "I don't think you can blame her for anything."

He added, "When Yoko came along, part of her attraction was her avant-garde side, her view of things, so she showed him another way to be, which was very attractive to him. So it was time for John to leave, he was definitely going to leave," with or without Ono in the picture.

Ono spoke Tuesday about the shock of hearing McCartney say those words 40 years after the Beatles broke up.

"I was very, very thankful," the 80-year-old Ono told U.K. newspaper The Times. "I mean, I was shocked. I thought, 'Now you are saying it? Now, after 40 years?' But it was very good. In the atmosphere that the world created for us, it was not easy for him to say something like that."

More ABC News