|'Pillowcase Rapist' Parole Blasted as 'Dangerous and Reckless'|
|Barbara Schmitt||Jul 10, 2014, 5:40 PM|
The "pillowcase rapist" who terrorized California women in the early 1990s is now a free man, despite objections from outraged residents.
Christopher Hubbart, now 63, earned the nickname because of the serial method he used when sexually assaulting women at night in their homes.
Hubbart was released on parole Wednesday morning from a mental hospital to a court-ordered suburban Los Angeles house in the Antelope Valley, according to KABC in Los Angeles.
Hubbart has admitted to over 100 rapes and attempted rapes, and was arrested and sentenced to state prison several times but even managed to sexually assault women during his parole periods, KABC reported.
ABC News has been unable to reach him.
He had been behind bars since 1996 at the Coalinga State Hospital. A firestorm of protests grew in California on news of his latest parole. Residents throughout the state attended hearings and wrote numerous letters to a Santa Clara County judge pleading to keep Hubbart behind bars.
L.A. County Supervisor Michael Antonovich said in a statement: "Once again, the State's criminal justice system failed to uphold its responsibility to protect the public's safety. The Santa Clara County Judge's decision to dump a convicted serial rapist in our community is dangerous and reckless."
Hubbart's crimes spanned the entire state with more than 50 known female victims in Los Angeles, San Bernardino and Riverside counties, as well as in San Francisco and Santa Clara counties in Northern California, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office.
Most victims ranged in age from 25 to 35. Hubbart often stalked his victims, entered their homes when they were alone at night, and raped them after placing a pillow case over their heads, the D.A.'s Office said.
Since 2013, Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey has been at the forefront of trying to prevent Hubbart from being released into the community of Lake Los Angeles after Santa Clara County Judge Gilbert Brown determined that Hubbart no longer posed a risk of re-offense and ruled that he could be safely housed in the community.
Over the objections of the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office, Judge Brown ruled that Hubbart should be placed in Los Angeles County and selected the Lake Los Angeles residence.
Hubbart will wear a 24-hour, seven-day-a-week GPS monitor on his ankle and will be accompanied by security people every time he goes out in public for the first six months to a year of his release. He will be transported to therapy sessions twice a week, according to KABC.