|Suspect Identified in LA Girl's Abduction|
|By ALYSSA NEWCOMB (@AlyssaNewcomb) and CHRISTINA NG (@ChristinaNg27)||Mar 31, 2013, 11:58 AM|
Los Angeles police have zeroed in on the person they believe is responsible for snatching a 10-year-old girl from her San Fernando Valley home last week and abandoning her 10 hours later in front of a hospital.
Tobias Dustin Summers, 30, a transient with a criminal history, was identified by police on Saturday as a suspect in the case, the Associated Press reported.
Authorities were not able to elaborate on the motive or what information led them to Summers, who has not been apprehended.
"We have no information that the family knew this individual or that the individual knew any members of the family," Los Angeles Police Deputy Chief Kirk Albanese said.
Police were initially looking for two suspects, but are currently focused on locating Summers, the AP reported.
The girl was reported missing early Wednesday morning. Her mother last saw her when she went to bed around 1 a.m., police say.
At around 3:40 a.m., the mother awoke to go to the bathroom and saw that the girl was missing when she stopped into her room to check on her.
Police believe the girl was snatched from her home in the middle of the night. She was then taken to a storage facility and at least one other location in at least two cars, according to the LAPD.
She was then dropped off at Kaiser Hospital, about six miles from her home.
She walked from there to a nearby Starbucks where someone recognized her from the publicity at around 2:45 p.m., according to KABC.
The little girl had some bruises on her face and some minor lacerations, but appeared otherwise unharmed, police said.
The person who recognized her flagged down an LAPD officer and she was taken to a hospital for evaluation.