Advertisement
SKorea Prepares for Possible NKorea Missile Test Launch
PHOTO: A North Korean vehicle carrying what appears to be a new missile passes by during a mass military parade in Pyongyangs Kim Il Sung Square to celebrate the centenary of the birth of the late North Korean founder Kim Il Sung, April 15, 2013.

While North Korea isn't backing away from threats of nuclear war, neighboring countries are taking precautionary measures for a possible missile test launch.

South Korea's presidential office told reporters Sunday that they take Pyongyang's surprise warning to foreign embassies and international organizations there to evacuate before April 10 as a sign that North Korea may test-fire its missile that day.

"We're thoroughly preparing for this, leaving all possibilities open," said Kim Jang-Soo, chief of the National Security Office, during a meeting at the presidential office, according to spokeswoman Kim Haing.

RELATED: North Korea Could Be Preparing Missile Test

North Korean authorities had told diplomats that the United States wants war and they could not guarantee the safety of international workers.

RELATED: More South Koreans Leave Joint Factory

One or possibly two mid-range missiles have been moved to the eastern coast, but the exact location is not confirmed and the missiles are difficult to track since they are mobile.

With a range of 1,800 miles, the missiles threaten all of Japan and the American military bases in Okinawa, Japan, and possibly Guam.

On Saturday, a pro-North Korean website ran a two-minute video depicting a military attack on the White House and South Korea's president office.

The film was making a sarcastic shot at the recent Hollywood film "Olympus Has Fallen," which depicts an attack on the White House. It was posted on a Korean language website carrying news and information from Pyongyang.

PHOTOS: An Inside Look at North Korea

U.S. Monitoring North Korea Situation

The ongoing tense situation on the North Korean peninsula has led the top American general in South Korea and South Korea's top general to cancel long-planned trips to Washington this week.

On Sunday, Col. Amy Hannah, a U.S. Forces Korea spokeswoman, said Gen. James Thurman, the commander of U.S. and U.N. forces in South Korea, would not be traveling to Washington this week for previously scheduled congressional budget hearings.

"Given the current situation General Thurman will remain in Seoul next week as a prudent measure. He has asked the Senate Armed Services Committee," the statement said.

RELATED: Top US General in South Korea Cancels Trip to Washington Due to North Korea Situation

The statement said Thurman had asked three congressional committees "to excuse his absence until he can testify at a later date. He looks forward to appearing before the committee at the earliest possible date."

Earlier on Sunday it was announced that South Korea's top military officer was rescheduling a planned visit to Washington because he could not be away while North Korea was making bellicose threats.

South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Jung Seung-jo was to have visited the Pentagon on April 16 for a regular consultative meeting with his American counterpart, Gen. Martin Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

To "avoid misperception or manipulation" by North Koreans, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has also delayed a Minuteman 3 intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) test scheduled for Tuesday at Vandenberg AFB in California.

RELATED: Minuteman 3 Test Delayed to Avoid North Korean 'Manipulation'

The test has been long planned "and thus unconnected from the recent tensions with North Korea," an official told ABC News.

"We recognized that an ICBM test at this time might be misconstrued by some as suggesting that we were intending to exacerbate the current crisis with North Korea," the official said. "We wanted to avoid that misperception or manipulation.

"We are committed to testing our ICBMs to ensure a safe, secure, effective nuclear arsenal," the official said. "The test is being rescheduled, likely next month."

Japan, China Prepare for Possible North Korean Missile Test

RELATED: U.S. Wargames North Korean Regime Collapse, Invasion to Secure Nukes

In Tokyo, Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera is expected to give official orders to intercept any North Korean missiles that might be launched, local media Yomiuri and Kyodo reported.

But the orders will not be made publicly so as not to alarm the Japanese citizens. The ministry has deployed Aegis destroyers equipped with SM-3 interceptors towards the Sea of Japan.

Although China did not directly address North Korea, President Xi Jinping pledged his country will continue to "properly handle differences and frictions" with Asian nations.

He added that no country should throw a region and the world into chaos for selfish gains.

"Countries, whether big or small, strong or weak, rich or poor, should all contribute their share in maintaining and enhancing peace," Xi said during a keynote speech at the Boao Forum for Asia (BFA) in Hainan, China.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

More ABC News