Watch Live:
UK Prime Minister Discusses Raising Terror Threat Level to 'Severe'
Funeral Held for Youngest Boston Victim
PHOTO: Martin Richard, 8, was one of the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings, April 15, 2013.

A private funeral was held for 8-year-old Martin Richard today, the youngest victim in the Boston Marathon bombing.

"The outpouring of love and support over the last week has been tremendous. This has been the most difficult week of our lives and we appreciate that our friends and family have given us space to grieve and heal," the Richard family said in a statement.

Today's funeral mass was attended only by family, but a public memorial service is being planned for the coming weeks.

RELATED: Bomb Victim, 7, in Critical Condition as Funerals Begin

A photograph released after the April 15 terrorist attack showed the Richard family standing on Boylston Street watching the marathon before two bombs exploded near the finish line. In the background of the frame is a man authorities said was the alleged bomber, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19.

Martin's mother, Denise, was gravely injured in the attack and his sister, Jane, 7, lost a leg.

A fund set up to help the Richard family has raised more than $215,000 as of this afternoon.

More ABC News