Advertisement
Suspect's Vehicle Found in California Family Slaying Manhunt
PHOTO: This undated photo released by the Shasta County Sheriffs office shows Shane Miller, 45, who is suspected of a triple homicide at his home in rural Northern California.

Authorities have discovered the pickup truck of an "extremely dangerous" Northern California man who they say is the prime suspect in the triple homicide of his wife and two daughters.

Shane Franklin Miller is considered heavily armed and dangerous, according to the Shasta County Sheriff's Office. The 45-year-old is believed to have gunned down his family at their home in rural Shingletown, Calif., about 230 miles northeast of San Francisco on Tuesday.

"There is a manhunt for him right now. He's a prime suspect. We're not looking for anybody else," Lt. Dave Kent said. "We found several different types of weapons, ammunition in the house, so he may be heavily fortified at this time."

Police have launched a nationwide manhunt for Miller.

The bodies of Miller's wife, Sandy, 34, and two daughters, Shelby, 8, and Shasta, 4, were discovered after a call was received from the family's residence just before 8 p.m. It is unclear who placed the call, but authorities said that it came from one of the victims while the shooting was in progress.

Police have yet to determine a motive for the shooting. Kent said last month officers went to Miller's home on a domestic dispute call.

Miller was believed be driving a gold-colored 2010 Dodge Mega Cab pickup with a camper shell.

Wednesday night police received calls that Miller's vehicle may have been spotted in both Petrolia, Calif. and Honeydew, Calif., towns over 200 miles away, near the California coastline. Deputies and officers from the other agencies converged on the area. A search turned up the truck parked and vacant.

Police told The AP that Miller be heading to a cabin in coastal Humboldt County, where authorities have said several weapons may be stored.

Black Butte Union Elementary School District official Don Aust told The Record Searchlight that Shelby and Shasta were pulled out of school within the last month.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

More ABC News