16-Year-Old Becomes Fourth Known Person to Survive Brain Amoeba in 50 Years
Sebastian DeLeon was taken to Florida Children's Hospital in Orlando, Florida, with a severe headache on Aug. 7.
Pfizer on Buying Spree With AstraZeneca Antibiotics Deal
Pfizer continues shopping spree with deal for AstraZeneca's portfolio of anti-infective pills
Teen Survives Rare Amoeba Infection That Kills Most People
Doctors say a South Florida boy has survived a rare brain-eating amoeba that kills most people, aided in part because a hard-to-get drug to fight the infection is made by a company in Orlando where he was hospitalized
Teen Becomes the Fourth Person to Survive Brain-Eating Amoeba in 50 Years
A Florida teen has become only the fourth person in the last 50 years to survive an infection from "naegleria fowleri" -- also commonly known as the "brain-eating amoeba." Sebastian DeLeon, 16, continues his recovery after contracting the infection earlier this month. DeLeon was taken to Florida
Only Hospital in Damascus Suburb Is Closed After Bombings
Residents of a besieged rebel-held city outside Damascus , Syria, have lost their only functioning hospital in a bombing, according to activists, an independent observer and a medical society. The Syrian American Medical Society told ABC News that the attack happened this morning in the city of
2-Year-Old Who Lost All Four Limbs Gets Doll With Matching Body
A little girl from England was all smiles last week after receiving a new best friend that looks just like her. Harmonie-Rose Ivy Allen , 2, of Bath, was gifted an "American Girl" doll named Rebecca on July 31. Like Harmonie, Rebecca is a quadruple amputee. "She just said, 'Mummy, she's just like
Toddler Who Lost Her Limbs Gets a Doll That Looks Just Like Her
Harmonie-Rose Ivy Allen who lost her limbs from meningitis B, got a doll with a matching body.
SC Resident Hospitalized After Being Exposed to Brain-Eating Amoeba
A South Carolina resident has contracted a rare brain-eating infection after swimming in the Edisto River in Charleston County, according to the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (SCDHEC). Lab tests conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Billboard Warns About 'Brain-Eating' Amoeba After Florida Family Loses Son
A Florida family has posted a billboard to draw attention to the dangers of the "brain-eating" amoeba, Naegleria fowleri, for people swimming in local lakes, ponds and streams. The Gompf family posted a billboard in Tampa in honor of their son, Phillip Gompf, who died from meningitis caused by
Billboard Warns About 'Brain-Eating' Amoeba After Family Loses Son
The Gompf family posted a billboard in Tampa in honor of their son, Phillip Gompf, who died from meningitis caused by Naegleria fowleri in 2009.