ABC News
  • Prescription Errors

    Beth Hippely, a 42-year-old mother of four from Bartow, Florida, was diagnosed with cancer in 2002. She began chemotherapy and was given a 90 percent chance of survival. Then a local Walgreens pharmacy gave her the wrong prescription.
    ABC News
  • Prescription Errors

    Beth Hippely's doctor prescribed the powerful blood thinner Coumadin after she began chemotherapy for treatable stage II breast cancer. But Walgreens gave Beth pills that were 10 times the prescribed dose.
    ABC News
  • Prescription Errors

    The overdose of blood thinner cause a massive stroke that left Beth crippled and forced her to stop needed chemotherapy. She died in January 2007 after her cancer returned.
    ABC News
  • Prescription Errors

    The dosage error on Beth Hippely's prescription was made by Janelle Banks, a pharmacy technician at Walgreens, who was a high school student at the time. When questioned under oath in the lawsuit brought by the Hippelys against Walgreens, Janelle admitted her error.
    ABC News
  • Prescription Errors

    There are no national age, education or training requirements for pharmacy technicians. In many states, technicians can be 16 or 17 years old, in high school or working toward a GED.
    ABC News
  • Prescription Errors

    In 2006, 19-year-old Billy Klein had a prescription for antibiotics filled at his local Kroger pharmacy in Marietta, Ga. The prescription was to treat a minor infection following oral surgery. After taking the prescription for a few days, Klein says his infection started to worsen and he noticed that some of the pills in his prescription bottle looked different from the others. The Kleins filed a still pending civil suit that alleges that the misfiled prescription caused the infection in his mouth to worsen, forcing Billy to go through another round of oral surgery, causing pain and medical bills and prolonging the healing process.
    ABC News
  • Prescription Errors

    Billy Klein's prescription was for Amoxicilin, an antibiotic. He says that the bottle of pills he received contained both antibiotics and the decongestant Wellbid-D, or guaifenesin/phenylephrine, pictured. A spokesperson for Kroger said the chain can't comment on pending litigation, but that Kroger regrets any errors at its stores.
    ABC News
  • Prescription Errors

    Betty Russell, a part-time pharmacy technician, testified in a deposition in Klein's case that her training to work at Kroger took only two hours.
    ABC News
  • Prescription Errors

    After a pharmacy technician at an Alabama Rite Aid entered the wrong prescription into the store's computer system, Reva Tosh got a powerful steroid instead of her prescribed pain medication. Tosh developed a rare, debilitating hormonal disorder. She is pictured here prior to taking the steroid.
    Courtesy Tosh Family
  • Prescription Errors

    Reva Tosh took large doses of the steroid for 28 days and eventually developed Cushing's Syndrome, a disorder of the adrenal glands that caused her to suffer a number of physical ailments and mental disorders. Among the symptoms was massive bruising on her arms.
    Courtesy Tosh Family
  • Prescription Errors

    In January, a jury ordered Rite Aid to pay $2.5 million in damages to Reva and her husband Gerald.
    Courtesy Tosh Family
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
See It, Share It
PHOTO:
Bay Ismoyo, ChaideerMahyuddin/AFP/Getty Images
PHOTO: An undated booking photo shows Castor Conley.
Multnomah County Sheriffs Office
PHOTO: Members of a volunteer medical team wear special uniforms for the burial of people, sterilized after dying due to the Ebola virus, in Kenema, Sierra Leone, Aug. 26, 2014.
Mohammed Elshamy/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images