Tyler Florence's Fried Chicken
This Fried Chicken Will Impress Your Guests
Try this fried chicken recipe from acclaimed chef Tyler Florence to impress your guests. Florence is the owner of several restaurants and the host of Food Network's "Tyler's Ultimate."
Preheat the oven to 200°F. Truss the chicken legs with butcher's twine by tying them together in a tight knot. Season the bird aggressively with salt and pepper. Rough chop 1 bunch each of the rosemary, thyme, and sage and mix with the olive oil. Rub the mixture on the bird so the herbs stick to the skin. Place the seasoned bird in a roasting pan with an elevated rack and place in the oven.
After 2.5 hours, remove the chicken from the oven and chill immediately. The internal temperature between the breast and the thigh near the bone should be 150°F.
*Note the chicken is still not safe to eat at this stage and you will see some pink on the bone. The appearance of the chicken should be moist, blonde, and softer than roasted chicken. Imagine cooking the chicken to 80% complete. The other 20% will happen in the deep fryer.
Once the chicken is completely chilled, butcher the bird down into 10 pieces with the breast boneless and cut the breast piece in half. You will end up with a wing, leg, thigh, and 2 pieces breast meat per side of the chicken.
In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk and season with salt, pepper, and the hot sauce. Use enough hot sauce to make the milk a light pink color. Submerge the chicken in the buttermilk and let sit in the refrigerator for thirty minutes.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder and mix thoroughly. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk (do not dry) and dredge the chicken in the flour and shake off excess flour before frying. Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes during the time it takes the oil to reach temperature. The goal is for the first coating of flour to become wet and gummy on the surface of the chicken. Prior to frying the chicken dust the chicken again with the seasoned flour. This step will insure the coating sticks to the skin.
Pre -heat oil in a large heavy bottom pot to 375°F. Fry the remaining herbs and garlic till crisp to perfume the oil and set aside for garnish later. Without over-crowding the pot, fry the breaded chicken until all of the pieces are golden brown, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove the chicken to a pan lined with a paper towel and season the freshly fried chicken with salt and fresh ground pepper.
Use a paper bag or brown parchment paper to line the bottom of the platter. Pile the chicken and garnish with the fried herbs and garlic. Serve with fresh lemon wedges.
Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence.
This recipe was styled by chef Karen Pickus for Good Morning America.