Nov. 4, 2011 -- A top Iranian official called the U.S. the "chief perpetrator of terror across the globe" Friday, and said he will present proof of U.S. terror to the United Nations.
Speaking to a Tehran crowd that had gathered to commemorate the 1979 seizure of the U.S. embassy and the taking of U.S. hostages, Saeed Jalili, a top Iranian security official and nuclear negotiator, displayed "two documents that pointed to U.S. involvement in acts of terror," according to Iranian state media.
Jalili claimed Iran has "irrefutable evidence" showing that the U.S. government has funded, directed and conducted acts of terror in Iran and other countries in the region.
"The U.S. is employing terrorism to promote its objectives," insisted Jalili, who vowed to sue the U.S. He called on the United Nations to prosecute and punish the U.S.
Jalili said the documents will be presented by Iran's U.N. envoy to U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon in New York Friday. They will also be given to the Swiss ambassador to Iran. The Swiss handle U.S. interests in Iran, since the U.S. does not maintain an embassy in the country.
Jalili asked why individuals who were on the U.S. sanctions list had been killed inside Iran. A number of Iranian nuclear scientists have died violent deaths in recent years, and Iran has accused the U.S., the U.K. and Israel of involvements in the death. The U.S. and the U.K. have denied any involvement.
The U.S. alleges that elements of the Iranian government, men from the Quds Force of the Revolutionary Guard, were involved in a plot to kill the Saudi ambassador to the U.S. using Mexican drug cartel assassins. An Iranian-American from Texas pleaded not guilty in connection with the alleged plot in a federal court last month. Iran denies involvement in the alleged plot.
The crowd of thousands had rallied to mark the anniversary of the storming of the U.S. embassy by militants 32 years ago. Fifty-two Americans were held hostage at the embassy for 444 days, from Nov. 4, 1979 to Jan. 20, 1981.