Though Oscars producer Reginald Hudlin said over the weekend that Rock scrapped his original plan in light of the diversity controversy surrounding this show, the comedian's publicist said on Monday that, that might not be entirely true.
According to his rep, Rock's plan remains up in the air.
“Regarding Reggie Hudlin's comments about Chris Rock's Oscar hosting duties, neither he nor anyone else speaks for Chris," she said. "Chris has made no decisions about the content of the show. All will be revealed on February 28th. We will not comment further on this."
Rock, 50, has already joked about the diversity issue, calling the Academy Awards "the white BET Awards" in a tweet earlier this month. Hudlin said that he will also be joking about it during the show.
"The Academy is ready for him to do that. They're excited about him doing that," he said. "They know that's what we need. They know that's what the public wants, and we deliver what the people want."
Actor Don Cheadle is also looking forward to Rock's performance, which he told People magazine should be "a career-defining moment" for the comedian.
"I mean, there is no one better poised, in my opinion, or equipped to go in on this s***," he said. "I hope when he does, he skewers everybody -- the people who are complaining about it, the people who were passed up, the people that weren't passed up, the whole idea of being passed up for this award and what it means, racism, the lack of diversity, all of it."
The 88th Academy Awards will air at 7 p.m. ET on Feb. 28, 2016 on ABC.