'Fashion Police' to Continue Without Joan Rivers, E! Network Says
"We decided ... that Joan would have wanted the franchise to continue," E! said.
By MICHAEL ROTHMAN
September 19, 2014, 10:07 PM
• 2 min read
-- After much deliberation and Melissa Rivers' blessing, "Fashion Police" will officially move forward without Joan Rivers, E! said today in a statement to ABC News.
"We are deeply saddened by the loss of Joan Rivers and, for the last two weeks, have turned our attention to honoring her memory on all of our platforms," the network said about the late comedic icon.
"We have also thought long and hard about what Joan would have wanted as it pertains to the future of Fashion Police. We decided, with Melissa Rivers' blessing, that Joan would have wanted the franchise to continue. Fashion Police will return in 2015 commencing with Golden Globes coverage on Monday, January 12. No further details will be announced at this time," the statement added.
Rivers died on Sept. 4 at the age of 81. The comedy legend, alongside Kelly Osbourne, Giuliana Rancic and George Kotsiopoulos, made "Fashion Police" a red-carpet staple, with their biting, yet funny comments on the attire chosen by Hollywood's elite for big-time award shows.
Rancic told ABC News earlier this week that Rivers' death was "the shock of a lifetime" and that her daughter Melissa, an executive producer of the show, would be instrumental in deciding if the show would continue.
"They are looking at different scenarios, whether it moves forward or it doesn't," Rancic said. "A lot of that will be up to [Melissa] and how she's feeling and how she decides what she wants to do, along with the execs here at E! There is no word now. ... They are seeing what 'Fashion Police' looks like without Joan."