The hacking of "Ghostbusters" star Leslie Jones' website, JustLeslie.com, is now a federal case.
Rachael Yong Yow, public affairs officer for the New York Field Office of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, told ABC News today that the Department of Homeland Security is investigating the cyber crime that saw Jones' private pictures, including nude photos and other material swiped from her iCloud account, posted on her personal website, which was taken down after the hack on Wednesday.
"The investigation is currently ongoing," Yow said in an email, adding, "In order to protect the integrity of the case, no further details are available at this time."
After the news of the hack broke on Wednesday, fellow artists and colleagues expressed support for Jones.
Musician Questlove tweeted, "these acts against leslie jones....are sickening. its racist & sexist. it's disgusting. this is hate crimes. this aint 'kids joshing round'"
Paul Feig, her director in "Ghostbusters," said, "What's happening to @Lesdoggg is an absolute outrage. Alt right, haters, trolls, 'comedians,' whoever the f--- you all are, you're just sad."
This isn't the first time Jones has been an online target. She left Twitter last month after experiencing racist attacks, calling the abuse on social media "a personal hell."
"I didn't do anything to deserve this," she tweeted before taking a hiatus.
Twitter responded in kind, permanently suspending conservative commentator Milo Yiannopoulos, who allegedly inspired some of the abuse.
At the time of the suspension in July, Twitter released a statement to ABC News, which read, "No one deserves to be subjected to targeted abuse online, and our rules prohibit inciting or engaging in the targeted abuse or harassment of others. Over the past 48 hours in particular, we’ve seen an uptick in the number of accounts violating these policies and have taken enforcement actions against these accounts."