Oct. 5, 2009 -- Now that Jon Gosselin, the embattled dad formerly of TLC's "Jon & Kate Plus 8," is out of a job, his estranged wife says it seems he's desperate enough to drain funds from their shared bank account.
Kate Gosselin says he withdrew more than $200,000 from the couple's joint bank account without authorization, leaving her with $1,000.
"He took $230,000 of the $231,000 we had," the reality TV mom told NBC Monday. "I have a stack of bills. The last thing I wanted was to do this show and end up not being able to pay our bills."
Marty Singer, a lawyer for Kate Gosselin, told People magazine that Jon Gosselin didn't notify his ex-wife about the withdrawal before taking the money from their account last week, even though a court stipulated it must approve such transactions. Singer added that he expects Kate Gosselin's family law attorney to go to court Monday to argue that Jon Gosselin be held in contempt.
The cash controversy comes on the heels of Jon Gosselin's declaration that he wants off the show and he wants his kids off camera for good.
"I don't think it's healthy for them, and the reason I don't think it's healthy for them is that we're going through a divorce right now," Gosselin told CNN's "Larry King Live" Thursday night. "And I don't think it should be televised, and I think my kids should be taken off the show."
TLC shut down filming of the children on "Jon & Kate Plus 8" after receiving a cease-and-desist order from Gosselin's attorney Thursday. A sign has been posted outside the family home in Pennsylvania ordering all film crews to back off the property.
"At this point, both parents have joint custody," Jon Gosselin's lawyer, Mark Heller, said. "So, clearly, without the consent of both parents, this cannot go forward."
TLC has fired back, slamming Gosselin's erratic behavior. But his wishes are apparently being granted.
"Despite Jon Gosselin's repeated self-destructive and unprofessional actions, he remains under an exclusive contract with TLC," the cable-TV network said in a statement. "Direct filming of the children has been currently suspended."
Gosselin told King that he'd had an epiphany in recent weeks, and that he "didn't want to be this person anymore."
He acknowledged that he'd made many mistakes in dealing with the intense media glare amid the public dissolution of his 10-year marriage.
Gosselin has not spoken to his estranged wife in more than three weeks, he said, despite his efforts to contact her through phone and text message.
Kate Gosselin issued a statement saying she is confused by her husband's actions. "Jon has never expressed any concerns to me about our children being involved in the show and, in fact, is on the record as saying he believes the show benefits our children and was taping on Friday with the kids."
Jon Gosselin Regrets Reference to Kate
Heller said his client was not taping with the children, which includes 5-year-old sextuplets.
"On Friday, Jon did a final sit down so that film of the children, which had been produced ... earlier, could be concluded," Heller said.
Heller added that the production of the five-season show "will stop 100 percent, and the only way, in my view, it would proceed is under a court order."
"I regret using that word," he said. "I was emotional, and when you're emotional you say things you don't really mean."
He told King that he hasn't gotten along with TLC executives since January and that they'd put him on "house arrest" and assign him a bodyguard to prevent him from going out and socializing.
The couples' respective attorneys spoke on the show, giving a grim view of any kind of reconciliation between the once-admired couple.
"I want us to mediate," Jon Gosselin said. "I want us to become friends.
"We're never going to be husband and wife again but we'll always be mom and dad."