August 22, 2001 -- Even though he's been off the island for a year, Survivor winner Richard Hatch is still knee-deep in intrigue
The million-dollar winner was arrested on Tuesday after a dispute with his former boyfriend, Glenn Boyanowski, who allegedly tried to force his way into Hatch's home near Providence, R.I., the Providence Journal reports.
The 40-year-old reality-show contestant turned himself in to police in Middletown, R.I., and was released on his own recognizance and ordered to be in court on September 7 to face misdemeanor charges of assault, according to Access Hollywood. Hatch was granted a temporary restraining order against Boyanowski, the Providence Journal reports.
"He's taking it in stride," Hatch's attorney Christopher Behan told the Associated Press. "He's extremely disappointed, but I think he realizes that this guy is trying to take advantage of him." Behan told the Providence Journal that Hatch had broken up with Boyanowski and told him he "wasn't welcome" at Hatch's home anymore. However, Boyanowski told the newspaper, "My version of the story is different than his," but did not elaborate further.
Hatch, like nearly every other reality-show contestant since, has already had his share of legal troubles. Two days after his return from the South Pacific island where Survivor was taped, Hatch was arrested for child abuse for allegedly forcing his then 9-year-old son to exercise.
That charge was later dropped, but Hatch sued over the incident, claiming he had been falsely arrested. Last week, a federal judge dismissed Hatch's false arrest suit, but a civil claim that his privacy was violated by the Middletown police is still pending. Reuters contributed to this story.