Travoltas to Welcome New Son After Jett's Death

VIDEO: Actors John Travolta and Kelly Preston announce that theyre expecting a
WATCH Baby News for Travolta and Preston

More than a year and a half after losing their son Jett in the aftermath of a seizure, John Travolta and Kelly Preston announced they're expecting another baby boy.

Representatives for Preston confirmed to People magazine that the couple is having a son. According to People, Travolta, 56, and Preston, 47, celebrated the news with more than three dozen close friends at a shower held at their Los Angeles-area home earlier this month. A family friend told the magazine, "This baby is such a healing baby."

VIDEO: Actors John Travolta and Kelly Preston announce that theyre expecting a baby.Play
Baby News for John Travolta and Kelly Preston

The couple's May announcement that they were expecting was the first bit of good news they had shared in a long time, and helped overshadow reports that their two dogs had just been killed in what officials called "an unfortunate accident" on the tarmac of Bangor International Airport in Maine.

"It's impossible to keep a secret," they wrote in a statement on Travolta's Web site in May, "especially one as wonderful as this."

"We want to be the first to share this great news with everyone that we are expecting a new addition to our family," the online statement continued and was signed "Love, John, Kelly and Ella."

Ella is the couple's 10-year-old daughter.

The Travoltas have come a long way since their trials and tribulations of the past year and a half. A look back:

Jan. 2, 2009

Jett died Friday morning at the family's vacation home in the Bahamas after what the family's lawyer says was a seizure-related incident.

"A nanny attempted to revive him, all attempts were made, but he couldn't be revived," Travolta's attorney, Michael Ossi, who was also in The Bahamas, told "They tried as hard as they could to revive Jett."

The seizure was only part of the story. Royal Bahamas Police Force spokeswoman Loretta Mackey told the Associated Press that Jett Travolta died from hitting his head in a bathtub.

Jan. 5, 2009

The death certificate revealed that Jett died of a seizure. His parents released a statement the day before.

"Jett was the most wonderful son that two parents could ever ask for and lit up the lives of everyone he encountered," said the statement posted on John Travolta's Web site. "We are heartbroken that our time with him was so brief. We will cherish the time we had with him for the rest of our lives."

Jan. 8, 2009

Tom Cruise, a fellow member of the Church of Scientology, weighed in on the tragedy.

"It's horrific," a visibly shaken Cruise said in an interview that aired on ABC's "The View." "It's just horrific. Here you have a man, both of them doting parents, they're wonderful people and ..."

Cruise also defended the church, which came under scrutiny following Jett's death for speculation that it discourages members from seeking medical care.

"That's just not true. It's actually false," Cruise said. "They say, 'Get your physical, get your medication, get your physical illnesses handled.'"

Jan. 23, 2009

Three Bahamian citizens, including the paramedic who tried to revive Jett, a lawmaker and the former minister of tourism who served as the Travoltas' spokesman, were arrested in an alleged plot to extort money from John Travolta.

Ultimately, paramedic Tarino Lightbourne and Bahamas Senator Pleasant Bridgewater were charged with trying to extort $25 million from Travolta in exchange for a document that Travolta had signed saying he did not want his son transported to the local hospital. Travolta later changed his mind and Jett was taken to a Bahamas hospital.

After an alleged negotiation between Travolta's lawyer, Lightbourne and Bridgewater that was caught on tape, Travolta filed a complaint with the Bahamas police that led to a trial.

Sept. 23, 2009

John Travolta took the stand in the extortion trial, describing his last heartbreaking moments with his son.

"I ran downstairs with my wife to help my son," Travolta said, according to The Associated Press. In his testimony, he said he and Preston were awakened by a nanny around 10:15 a.m. on Jan. 2, the day of Jett's death. Travolta said when he went downstairs, another caretaker was doing chest compressions and he began administering breathing help.

The actor testified that his son Jett, 16, was autistic and suffered seizures every five to 10 days. He said the seizures would last 45 seconds to a minute and Jett typically slept for 12 hours after each one.

"He was autistic. He suffered from a seizure disorder," Travolta told the jury when asked about his son's condition.

Oct. 22, 2009

The judge in the extortion case declares a mistrial because of juror misconduct.

On Jan. 27, the judge finally set a date for a new trial -- Sept. 6.

Nov. 9, 2009

In his first interview since Jett's death, Travolta told USA Today that almost daily Scientology religious counseling sessions helped the family cope.

"We've been working very hard every day as a family to heal," Travolta said while promoting his film, "Old Dogs," which also starred Preston and their daughter Ella. "We have our own way of doing it, and it has been helping."

May 13, 2010

The Travoltas' two dogs were killed after the family landed at the Bangor, Maine, airport and an unidentified person who was not a member of the Travolta family but "a liaison" for them took the two dogs for a walk. A pickup truck driven by an airport employee was approaching the aircraft when it apparently struck and killed the animals.

The airport sent a floral arrangement and card to the Travoltas, who were at their home on an island off the coast of Maine.'s Brian Braiker and The Associated Press contributed to this report.