How to Save a Life: Prevent Poisoning

Most children ages 8 months to 6 years old are at risk of being poisoned by objects around the house, ABC News' senior health and medical editor, Dr. Richard Besser, said this morning on "Good Morning America."

Poisoning is one of the most common childhood injuries, according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers.

Potentially dangerous household products might include cleaning products such as laundry detergent, or topical products such as diaper rash cream, especially if a young child ingests them.

But there are things you can do to ensure your family is safe. Here are some tips to prevent poisoning in your household:

VIDEO: Dr. Richard Besser explains how to prevent and react to poisonings.Play
Poisoning Prevention: How to Save a Life

Keep the poison control center phone number someplace where you and others will know where to find it easily and quickly. The poison center can send you telephone stickers or magnets with the emergency phone number. Post that number on or near your telephones. Poison control center hotline: 1-800-222-1222.

Click HERE for more poison control resources.

Make sure your liquor cabinet is locked.

Get a carbon monoxide detector for your home.

Never leave your car running inside a closed garage.

You also can teach your older children ways to stay safe, said Besser. Here are a few things to should teach your children about poisons:

If you don't know what something is, never put it in your mouth. Always ask a trusted grown up first.

Never take medicine unless a grown-up gives it to you.

Some plants and berries are poisonous. Always ask a grown-up before you put them in your mouth.

Always let grown-ups use spray cans and bottles. Do not touch or play with them.

Stay away from things used to clean your house, clothes or car.