Transcript for Patient dies from severe respiratory illness, possibly from vaping
More and more concerns about e-cigarettes and vaping this morning. A patient died from a severe respiratory illness and it could be the country's first vaping-related death. This morning, health officials sending an urgent warning about the dangers of vaping. An Illinois resident dying of a respiratory illness, the state's department of public health saying that person had recently When there's inflammation in the lung sacs of the alveoli, they don't oxygenate. When we don't get oxygen, we can't live. Reporter: The CDC currently investigating 193 severe pulmonary illnesses in people who use e-cigarettes. The cases spread out over 22 states. Health officials have not identified a particular device or liquid as being associated with those cases. Among those hospitalized, 17-year-old tryston zohfeld rushed to a Texas hospital with a blockage in his lungs. His doctors say because of vaping. I woke up just throwing up everywhere and my heart was just pounding out of my chest going 100 miles an hour. Reporter: In late July he was in a medically induced coma. His parents then learning tryston had been vaping without their knowledge since the eighth grade. He is a very sick otherwise healthy-looking child, and we don't see previously healthy 17-year-olds that sick that quickly. That video hard to watch. The CDC has confirmed all cases were using e-cigarettes or vaping in the months leading up to developing pulmonary complications, however, details regarding how many people were using thc, CBD, nicotine or other products in these cases has yet to be confirmed. But a reminder that we still don't know a lot about vaping. This is a relatively new thing. Yeah, something that a lot of people are keeping an eye on. Yep.
This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.