'GMA' lunch break: Daniel Holzman's classic tomato sauce recipe
As Seen on the 'GMA' Lunch Break Live Stream
"GMA" caught up with chef Daniel Holzman at his restaurant, The Meatball Shop, in New York City. Here, Holzman shares The Meatball Shop's classic tomato sauce recipe, which is also available on the restaurant's website and at select shops.
1. Cook the onions, with the olive oil, oregano, bay, garlic and salt over a medium heat in a large pot (12 qt) stirring constantly until soft and translucent (about 15 minutes).
2. Add the tomato paste and continue cooking for five minutes.
3. Add the canned tomatoes and stir constantly until the sauce begins to boil.
4. Continue cooking for 1 hour stirring ever four or five minutes such that the sauce does not burn.
5. Season with extra salt to taste.
Recipe courtesy Daniel Holzman
Main Ingredients: onion, bay leaf, oregano, tomato paste, tomatoes, olive oil
Course: Dinner, Lunch