Oscar Dish: Spicy Tuna Tartare In Sesame-Miso Cones
Spicy Tuna Tartare in Sesame-Miso Cones
This recipe was first created by Lee Hefter in 1995 at Granita. It's part of Wolfgang Puck's menu for the 2010 Governor's Ball on Oscar night.
-Recipe courtesy Wolfgang Puck Catering
For the Cones:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter together with the corn syrup. Do Not Boil.
3. Remove from the heat and whisk in miso paste and sesame oil.
4. Sift the flour, continuously stirring. Add the ginger and sesame seeds.
5. Bake in the oven on Silpats (non-stick baking mats or sheets, CLICK HERE for more information) in 1 tablespoon portions for 10 minutes, then turn and bake for another 2 minutes.
6. Remove from the baking sheets and form into miniature cones.
For the Soy Sauce/Wasabi Mixture:
First, mix the wasabi paste with a little water, then mix with soy sauce. Be sure to shake or mix before every use.
For the Spicy Chili Mayonnaise:
Mix together the mayonnaise, chili sauce siaracha and sesame oil.
Assembly and Presentation:
1. Mix together tartare ingredients. Place in plastic pastry bag.
2. Place cones (about 20) in cone holder. Place 2 daikon sprouts in each cone while piping in the tartare mixture.
3. Top with masago roe, julienne bonito flake, and chopped pickled ginger.
Main Ingredients: tuna, wasabi, soy sauce, mayonnaise
Course: Dinner, Appetizer/Starter, Party Platter, Main Course