Does My School Or Workplace Have An Obligation To Make Special Accommodations For Me If I Have An Anxiety Disorder?

Dr. Hartstein answers the question: 'Accommodations For Anxiety Disorders?'

— -- Question: Does my school or workplace have an obligation to make special accommodations for me if I have been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder?

Answer: Mental illness is protected under the Disabilities Act, just like other disabilities and physical illnesses. So yes, you do get some compensation and some dispensation for having a psychiatric illness. You want to be careful not to take advantage of that. And you want really to try to be honest and open with your employer and the school, so that you can get the support and accommodations you need.

Next: Can An Employee Assistance Program (EAP) Be Helpful To Me If I Am Experiencing Symptoms Of An Anxiety Disorder?

Previous: What Do I Do When I Am Not Able To Function Or Do My Usual Things At Work Or School As A Result Of My Anxiety Disorder?