What Do I Do If A Friend Or Family Member Appears To Have An Anxiety Disorder?

Dr. Levendusky answers the question: 'I Think A Friend Has An Anxiety Problem?'

— -- Question: What do I do if a friend or family member appears to have an anxiety disorder?

Answer: If you're concerned that someone you know has an anxiety disorder, it's best to refer them to a qualified mental health professional. A primary care physician certainly could make a preliminary assessment of whether an individual has an anxiety disorder or not and likely then would refer the individual to a mental health professional. But the determination of an anxiety disorder is not something that a lay person should attempt to do.

Next: What Do I Do If A Friend Of Family Member With An Anxiety Disorder Resists Being Evaluated And Diagnosed?

Previous: When Is It Best To Send People To Psychiatric And Other Mental Health Specialists To Diagnose An Anxiety Disorder?