How Is Amblyopia (Lazy Eye) Diagnosed, And What Kind Of Doctor Should I See If I Think My Child Has Amblyopia?

Question: How is amblyopia (lazy eye) diagnosed, and what kind of doctor should I see if I think my child has amblyopia?

Answer: Amblyopia is diagnosed when the primary care provider feels that there may be a difference between the visual behavior of the eyes. This difference in vision can be identified as early as infancy at a well-child or well-baby checkup, or as late as the school years. Also the school is very helpful in providing vision screens during the school age years, and if the child fails a vision screen it's very important for the family to be aware of the urgency of having a referral to the appropriate specialist.