August 29, 2015 — -- Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump said today that a decision is imminent about whether he will run as a third party candidate.
“We’re going to make a decision very soon and I think a lot of people are going to be very happy," Trump told reporters in Nashville Tennessee, after addressing the National Federation of Republican Assemblies.
Trump was the only Republican at the Fox News GOP debate that took place earlier this month who would not rule out a third party bid were he to fail to win the GOP nomination.
If he does commit to support the party's nominee, however, a new rule adopted by the South Carolina Republican Party would bar him from competing in the state's primary, and other state GOP organizations have said they are considering a similar rule. He must file paperwork for the South Carolina primary by September 30th.
Trump also repeated comments about former Rep. Anthony Weiner, calling him "psychologically disturbed." Weiner, the husband of Hillary Clinton aide Huma Abedin, resigned from Congress embroiled in "sexting" scandal. Trump called him a "sleazebag" at a Massachusetts event Friday night.