-- The ban of Major League Baseball career hits leader Pete Rose remains in place, sources told ESPN's T.J. Quinn, as commissioner Rob Manfred has chosen to keep Rose's banishment in place for gambling on baseball.
The New York Times also reported Manfred's decision Monday.
Sources told ESPN that Manfred called Rose on Monday to inform him of the decision.
Rose and Manfred met in MLB's offices in Manhattan in September, and the commissioner had said he would make a decision on Rose by the end of 2015.
Rose, who was banned from baseball in 1989 after the league's investigation into his gambling, applied for reinstatement for a second time in March. Manfred took over as MLB commissioner in January.
For almost 15 years after being banned, Rose denied he bet on baseball. In 2004, he changed his tune, saying he did so only when managing the Cincinnati Reds.
An Outside the Lines report earlier this year produced documentation from one of Rose's former associates that cataloged his bets in 1986, when he was still playing. Rose's attorney said at the time that his client wouldn't comment as he was in the process of reinstatement, and Rose has not commented on the matter since.
Sources told Quinn it was extremely unlikely all along, even before the Outside the Lines report, that Rose would be reinstated. MLB officials had no sense that Rose had "reconfigured" his life.
Rose passed Ty Cobb as career hits leader with No. 4,192 on Sept. 11, 1985, and he finished his career with 4,256 hits. Rose played for the Reds from 1963 to 1978 and 1984 to 1986, acting as both a player and a manager from 1984 to 1986 and continuing as just a manager until 1989.
He first applied for reinstatement in September 1997 and met with then-commissioner Bud Selig in November 2002, but Selig never ruled on Rose's application.
The continued punishment means Rose cannot be considered for induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
Information from ESPN's Darren Rovell contributed to this report.