Maximum Security to race for 1st time since Kentucky Derby

Maximum Security to race this weekend for first time since Kentucky Derby disqualification; entered in $150K Pegasus Stakes at New Jersey's Monmouth Park

OCEANPORT, N.J. -- Maximum Security is heading back to the races.

"The horse had a really good day today and I don't see a reason why we shouldn't run," trainer Jason Servis said of the 1 1/16-mile race.

Maximum Security drew the No. 2 post position and was made the overwhelming 1-2 favorite. Luis Saez is back in the saddle.

Trainer Todd Pletcher entered two colts who will flank Maximum Security.

Second choice King for a Day, the winner of the Sir Barton, will start from the No. 3 post position, with Joe Bravo listed to ride. Last Judgement has the inside post position and is listed at 6-1 in the morning line. No rider was announced.

Also entered in post-position order are Identifier, Paco Lopez, 6-1; Direct Order, Nik Juarez, 12-1; and Caladan, Jeremy Rose, 15-1.

Servis was not sure earlier this week whether to run Maximum Security. However, bloodwork showed no problems.

"Maybe I was over-reading things a little too much, trying to be overly cautious," said Servis, who had the colt gallop 1 1/8 miles on Wednesday. "He's acting really good and training good and his bloodwork came back good."

It marked the first time in the 145-year history of the Derby that the first-place finisher was disqualified for interference.

The Wests are challenging the decision in federal court.

Top Stories

Top Stories

Top Stories

Top Stories

ABC News Live

ABC News Live

24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events