No Signs of Trauma on Dwight Clark's Body

Student missing for a week was found in a pond near Western Washington U.

Oct. 7, 2010 — -- The body found by Western Washington University and identified as missing student Dwight Clark had no signs of trauma, a preliminary autopsy report concluded today.

Clark's body was found in a pond near the campus where he had attended college for only a few weeks. The 18-year-old's driver's license, student ID, credit cards, cell phone and cash were also discovered on the body.

The report found the Clark's condition to be "consistent with being in the water the entire time Dwight Clark was missing and that his death occurred in the water."

No external or internal injuries that would lead to his death were found, according to the report. A toxiciology report is expected in the next two months.

Bellingham Mayor Dan Pike said in a statement, "It is with deep sadness that we learn of today's discovery of a body on the Bellingham waterfront, likely that of Dwight Clark, a student whose disappearance in our community captured our hearts and left us all hoping fervently he would be found, alive and safe."

The pond where the body was found has numerous docks and many boats that could make it difficult to find a body.

Clark was a star student who sent thousands of text messages to his family and friends each month. His disappearance had puzzled authorities who had spent more than a week scouring the Western Washington University campus searching for him.

The 18-year-old had last been seen in the early morning hours of Sept. 26 when he left an off-campus party at Western Washington University to go back to his dorm, less than a mile away, according to Bellingham authorities.

Clark's case was classified as a "highly suspicious missing person (case)," according to Young, who admitted he was "baffled" by the disappearance.

Until today's preliminary autopsy showing there were no trauma wounds, police would not rule out foul play in Clark's disappearance.

"Despite extensive searching, canine scent dogs, and numerous -- hundreds -- of volunteers, no evidence of any kind has been obtained to substantiate or indicate what happened to Clark," Young said earlier this wek.

Clark was seen leaving the apartment of a friend's house at approximately 2 a.m. on Sept. 26. There are conflicting reports about whether Clark had been drinking at the party, said Young.

"But after 2 a.m. after that party, nothing," said Young.

The college freshman, who had started classes just a week before he disappeared, was not known to take drugs and if he had been drinking the night he went missing, friends said he was "not inebriated to the point of not knowing where he was or what he was doing."

Dwight Clark's Last Text Was Strangely Blank

About 40 minutes after he left the party, Clark sent what authorities are describing as a "phantom text," or a blank text message from his phone.

"Clark is a prolific text messager," said Young. "He sent more than 5,000 texts last month alone and he was always on his phone contacting and connecting with his mother and his girlfriend."

"But this text had nothing written in it, it was a blank message," said Young.

A trace of the text showed it was sent from downtown Bellingham which is near the pond, but in the opposite direction from Clark's dormitory, Young said.

Kaylie Evans, a friend of Clark's, told ABC News' Seattle, Wash., affiliate KOMO-TV that the cell phone behavior is not typical of the college freshman.

"He never had his phone off," she said. "It was always on, texting."

"He was loving life," Young said of Clark. "His main hobby was skateboarding and he never missed a day of school. So far, he had been liking his classes here."