Charging Hoverboard Sparks Maryland House Fire, Officials Say

A hoverboard sparked a house fire while it was plugged into a wall outlet.

— -- One of the most popular toys this holiday season, a hoverboard, sparked a house fire in Maryland as it was plugged into an outlet to charge -- one of several recent incidents related to the devices, officials said.

The incident unfolded in Gaithersburg on Nov. 8, when the scooter caught fire and then rolled towards a bed, where it ignited the bedding and mattress, the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service wrote in a report.

Fire officials said that it is important to ensure the devices are tested in a laboratory, which can be found on the label, said Montgomery Fire and Rescue Service spokesman Pete Piringer.

“There’s some knockoffs out there not necessary made up to U.S. standards,” he said. It was not clear which company manufactured the hoverboard in the Maryland case.

Piringer also warned users to never leave the devices charging while unattended or sleeping and to use the appropriate charging equipment that came with the package.

“If it’s hot to the touch, that should be a warning sign,” he added. “Keep it away from any kind of combustible materials.”

ABC News could not reach the Maryland family whose hoverboard caught fire for comment.

"Delta reviewed hoverboard product specifications and found that manufacturers do not consistently provide detail about the size or power of their lithium-ion batteries," the company said in its statement Thursday.

On Tuesday, a hoverboard overheated in a mall in Auburn, Washington and went up in flames

Other incidents of hoverboards catching fire have been recorded, some while a rider was still on it.

The National Association of State Fire Marshals issued an advisory saying the incidents are not unique and consumers need to do their homework before buying one.