Chicago to Release Fatal Shooting Video of Black Teen by Police: What We Know About the Footage

Here's what we know about the footage.

— -- The city of Chicago has announced that it will comply with a judge's order to publicly release police dashcam video of a white officer fatally shooting a black teen.

But a Cook County judge ruled on Thursday that the Chicago Police Department had until next Wednesday, Nov. 25, to release the dashboard camera video.

"It appears an officer violated [the public's] trust at every level," Emanuel said in a statement Thursday, adding that he hoped the video's release "will provide prosecutors time to ... bring their investigation to a conclusion so Chicago can begin to heal."

Here's what we know about the footage:

What Does the Video Show?

The police squad car dashcam video from October 2014 allegedly shows black teen Laquan McDonald, walking away from a group of police officers with a small knife in his hand, according to lawyers for Laquan's family who said they have a copy of the video.

As McDonald, 17, is walking away, Officer Jason Van Dyke can be seen opening fire from about 15 feet and continuing to shoot even after McDonald fell to the ground, hitting McDonald a total of 16 times, Laquan's family layers said.

Police have said officers were responding to a call about a person walking down a street with a knife, and that McDonald refused to drop the knife when ordered to do so by officers.

Van Dyke has been put on paid administrative leave since the shooting, police said.

Even though the family had not filed a lawsuit, the City of Chicago approved a $5 million settlement with McDonald's family this past April after being advised to do so by a city attorney who had seen the video, according to the Associated Press.

When Will the Video Be Released?

Cook County Judge Franklin Valderrama has ordered the city to release the video by Wednesday, Nov. 25.

Who Wants the Video Released and Who Doesn't?

Activists, journalists and attorneys have been pushing for the video's release for several months.

Freelance journalist Brandon Smith filed a lawsuit earlier this year after the Chicago Police Department denied his request for the video under Illinois' Freedom of Information Act, noting that releasing the video could hamper the shooting investigation.

However, under the Freedom of Information Act, the Chicago Police Department can deny a request only if it is conducting an internal investigation, Judge Valderrama ruled.

Lawyers for McDonald's family said Thursday that McDonald's mother has not seen the video but that she understands it's crucial for the public to know the truth of what happened that night, The Chicago Tribune reported.

McDonald's mother said she feared the video's release could lead to potentially violent protests, like those in Baltimore and Ferguson, according to one of her lawyers, Jeffrey Neslund.

"It is a very graphic video and it is disturbing," Neslund told the Associated Press. "It will have a powerful impact."

Dan Herbert, an attorney for Van Dyke, said he is concerned that someone could try to harm the officer because they do not understand the context in which the shooting occurred.

What Will Happen After the Video Is Released?

Neslund, one of the McDonald family's lawyers, said a grand jury could convene as early as next week to consider whether to indict Van Dyke.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Top Stories

Top Stories

Top Stories

Top Stories

ABC News Live

ABC News Live

24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events