Coast Guardsman Allegedly Attacked Colleagues, Ambushed Police

PHOTO: Police were called to the scene after hearing reports of a vehicle that had been set on fire.PlayWCVB
WATCH Coast Guardsman Allegedly Killed 2, Ambushed Cops

Police are investigating the relationship between three members of the Coast Guard after a Guardsman allegedly killed one female colleague and injured another early this morning before ambushing a responding police officer.

Adrian Thomas Loya of the Coast Guard was apprehended by police in Bourne, Massachusetts, and now faces eight charges including murder, armed assault with intent to murder and home invasion.

Loya's attorney Drew Segadelli confirmed to ABC News that his client knew at least one of the women that he allegedly shot but would not elaborate any further.

The identities of his victims have not been released, but the District Attorney for the Cape and Islands confirmed that Loya and the two women he allegedly attacked were members of the Coast Guard.

The two women were stationed near Bourne but Loya was stationed in Virginia. It was not clear what his relationship was with either of the women but Bourne police told ABC News that they did not believe it was a random crime.

"Today the Coast Guard family suffered a tragic loss," said Rear Adm. Linda Fagan, commander of the First Coast Guard District.

Bourne police were called at 2:14 a.m. to respond to a car fire in the area and when they arrived, they "observed a fully engulfed automobile," according to the district attorney's statement.

While assessing the burning vehicle which was parked so that it blocked a residential road, another emergency call came in reporting shots being fired at a nearby residence.

As the police headed towards the residence, a man started firing at them and one of the officers was shot in the back.

The other responding officer went to the residence and found one dead woman and another who had been injured. She was transported to a Rhode Island hospital for treatment.

Another group of officers found the male suspect, identified later today as Loya, at a third nearby location and took him into custody.

"It certainly was an ambush of the police officers and it was a home invasion with respect to the two adult females," District Attorney Michael O'Keefe said at a press conference this morning.

"Our officer is doing well. He was transported to a hospital in Rhode Island. He already underwent surgery. We understand his condition is improving," Bourne Police Chief Dennis Woodside said, according to ABC affiliate WCVB.

Loya faces charges of murder, two counts of armed assault with intent to murder, two counts of home invasion, burglary armed assault, arson of a motor vehicle and assault and battery of a police officer.

He is being held without bail and will appear in court on March 23.

The Coast Guard Investigative Service is now working with the state police in the investigation.

ABC News' Aaron Katersky and Miseon Lee contributed to this report.