Corey Jones May Have Called Roadside Assistance Moments Before Deadly Shooting, Phone Logs Show

The shooting took place on the side of the road in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.

ByABC News
October 27, 2015, 11:11 AM

— -- Church musician Corey Jones may have called roadside assistance just minutes before police say he was shot dead by a plainclothes officer on the side of the road in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, according to his phone log.

The 31-year-old's call to roadside assistance began at 3:10 a.m. and lasted for 53 minutes, according to Jones' cell phone log, obtained by ABC News.

ABC News did not obtain the recording of the call.

The Palm Beach Gardens Police said Officer Nouman Raja, who was driving an unmarked car, had stopped to "investigate what he believed to be an abandoned vehicle" around 3:15 a.m.

"As the officer exited his vehicle, he was suddenly confronted by an armed subject," a statement from police read. "As a result of the confrontation, the officer discharged his firearm resulting in the death of the subject, Corey Jones."

Jones placed at least six calls to ATT Roadside Assistance on the night of the deadly shooting, the log shows. The shooting took place early in the morning on Sunday, Oct. 18, police said.

The calls were placed on his work cell phone, the log shows. Jones worked for the Delray Beach Housing Authority.

Palm Beach Gardens police said a gun was recovered on the ground outside Jones' car and the box it was purchased in was found inside Jones' car.

Jones bought the gun three days before the shooting, the police said. They would not elaborate, citing an independent investigation by the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office.

Jones' grandfather, Bishop Sylvester Banks, said his grandson was a "lovely grandchild" with a clean record.

When asked what he would say to the officer involved, Banks said, "I would plead to him to tell the truth. The truth will set you free."

The Jones family said in a statement last week: "Corey Jones was a God-fearing man who dedicated his life to doing the right thing. He lived every moment to the fullest and was an inspiration to many; the kind of son, brother and friend people could only hope for.”

"Rest assured, we are working diligently with our legal team to determine exactly why this plainclothes police officer in an unmarked car would approach Corey. We will never forget Corey. We are hopeful that the memory of his smiling face will give us strength during this incredibly difficult time."