-- Georgia parents Yvonne and Zachery Ervin say they are standing by the sons who allegedly drugged and brutally attacked them.
“Our kids had one bad moment,” Zachery Ervin told ABC News in an interview.
“We communicated to them that we love them unconditionally, we told them we forgive them,” he added. “We told them, as always, whenever there’s an issue, there’s going to be consequences, whether you do good or bad.”
The sons – Christopher, 22, and Cameron, 17 – allegedly attacked their parents, and police say, attempted to burn down their suburban Atlanta home Sept. 5.
Police visited the Snellville home to find Zachery Ervin stabbed and covered in blood. The 50-year-old reportedly told police that his son hit him on the head with a shotgun.
His wife was found lying beside their bed, badly beaten.
Christopher and Cameron Ervin are charged with two counts of felony aggravated assault and first-degree arson. Both will be tried as adults, facing as many as 60 years in prison, if convicted.
They reportedly waived a probable cause hearing in Gwinnett magistrate court earlier this month, and are being held without bond.
The sons’ lawyers did not respond to ABC News’ request for comment.
Despite the horror their sons allegedly put them through that night, the parents say they are standing by their boys. The parents said they are healing physically and emotionally, and that their faith has helped to sustain them.
“People don’t know our sons, so it may be easy to say, ‘I can’t forgive,’ but I ask people to take it personally. What if it was your son?” Yvonne Ervin said.