Jaycee Dugard Interview: She Describes Reunion with Childhood Friend

PHOTO: ABC News Diane Sawyer sits down for an exclusive interview with Jaycee Dugard Sunday night, July 10th on ABC.Play/ABC News
WATCH Jaycee Dugard: Kidnapper's Neighbors Speak

When Jaycee Dugard was freed from her kidnappers after 18 years, she wondered about the childhood friends she had left behind.

She was just 11 years old when Phillip and Nancy Garrido abducted her on June 10, 1991 as she walked to school from her family's Tahoe, Calif., home. She was a little girl with a big field trip to the water park just days away and plans to learn how to ride a horse that summer, plans that remained frozen in time.

Throughout her nearly two-decade imprisonment in the Garridos' backyard compound, she would write in journals about missing her mom and day dream about her former playmates.

Through the help of police officers, whom she met after she and her daughters were rescued in August 2009, Dugard found her best childhood friends. One of them is named Jessie.

"She's my best friend ever. I don't know what I'd do without her. I went to her wedding. She got married...I got to spend that moment of the lifetime with her," Dugard told ABC News' Diane Sawyer in an exclusive interview.

The two reunited at a birthday party for one of Dugard's daughters. Dugard writes about the reunion in her newly released memoir, "A Stolen Life."

Dugard, 31, said she never forgot about Jessie throughout her captivity.

"I am so lonely," Dugard wrote in her book. "Sometimes I dream about my friends that I used to have. Especially my very first friend, Jessie."

They became pals when Dugard was 4 and Jessie was 3 and they met as Dugard was looking for ladybugs, she wrote. "After that we were inseparable… I miss her now more than ever."

When Dugard moved to Tahoe, and away from Jessie, her friend would send her "special things," among them a bear that had a secret spot to hide things.

"I loved that bear and I loved Jessie, too, for not forgetting me," Dugard wrote.

In her conversation with Sawyer, Dugard said, "Some people you just don't forget."

The grace and courage with which Dugard has reemerged after her astonishing ordeal has made her an unforgettable character for many who watched as she told her story to Sawyer.

Oprah Winfrey tweeted, "Don't we love Jaycee's resilience. She is remarkable."

Alyssa Milano of "Who's the Boss" and "Melrose Place" tweeted, "Jaycee...your strength and grace are such an inspiration." Dugard took the name "Alyssa" after the actress when the Garridos forbade her from saying her real name.

Details of Dugard's nightmare continue to emerge and to amaze.

Just nine days after Dugard was kidnapped, her captors paid a visit to Phllip Garrido's parole officer, according to documents obtained by the Sacramento Bee newspaper, through a Freedom of Information Act request, and published in the newspaper today.

The federal parole agent wrote an upbeat report on June 19, 1991. "No major changes…A lot of complex issue (sic) with this case," according to The Bee article. "He talked about the way he met Nancy and their life together. He seems c omitted to their relationship."

It was a pattern of optimistic reports by parole officers that continued for 60 visits over the years.

Not long after Dugard gave birth to the first of her two daughters in 1994, Garrido told his parole agent, "everything is going OK," The Bee reported.

"Still employed…Says work-home going well. Talks a lot about his past and how far he has come," the parole officer wrote.

Even before Dugard's abduction, parole officers were blind to Garrido's true nature. At the 1987 hearing leading up to his parole on his previous kidnapping and rape charges, one prison official told parole agents "he thought 'very highly of' Garrido," according to the article in The Bee.

Notes from a November 1987 parole hearing state that the prison official "has such confidence that he would not object to subject residing next door to him as a neighbor in the community."

The Bee reported that over the years, Garrido met with parole officers regularly, often visiting their offices. But frequently, when an agent paid an unscheduled visit to his home, Garrido was either not there or appeared about to leave.

Garrido deeply feared that Dugard would be discovered. She was required to stay inside one of the structures on the compound and was never allowed out, from the time she was abducted until after she had her second child at age 17. There was one strange exception. It was an emergency evacuation of the compound because a paranoid Phillip Garrido was worried that police were in the neighborhood. He was still on parole.

Dugard was then 14 and pregnant with the first of two daughters she'd ultimately give birth to while in captivity. "I don't know how many months I was pregnant, but he came in at night and said we had to go...and we're going to go for a drive," she said.

Garrido hustled her into his van and forced her to lie on the floor and to squeeze under the seat so she couldn't be seen, despite being hugely pregnant.

She ended up in a trailer. For her, it was luxury, compared to the squalor she was living in at the Garrido home. The trailer had a sink with running water and a toilet.

"[I] hadn't had a toilet for--well, that was about three years," she said. Within 24 hours, Garrido's worries eased and Dugard was returned back to her confinement in the compound.